Subscribe

Individual vfilers + seperate SMB version settings for CIFS.

My question is can a single netapp controller run multiple vfilers where you have different SMB versions running on each vfiler. In other words, if the default vfiler is running CIFS with SMB v1 enabled - can you create a second vfiler and configure it to run SMB v2? Thanks

Re: Individual vfilers + seperate SMB version settings for CIFS.

sure why not.. but don't use the default vfiler.. Build two vfilers

Wouldnt that make 3 total vfilers? Why do you suggest not using the default vfiler?

I would suggest abstracting away from the default vfiler, vfiler0.  

Do you plan on using vfiler-dr.. I would if i were you

I have not had a reason to use anything other than the default vfiler until now where i need to be able to setup a CIFS share configured to use SMBv1 whlie every other share uses SMBv2.

You didn't answer the original question.  What do you do for DR?     With vfilers, you should be using vfiler-DR.. 

I guess i didnt understand your question. We have HA pair's setup at the primary site and a DR facility which is a replication target(another HA pair) for the data we store on this particular array. We dont really have a specific vfiler DR per say, as you suggest. What would be the scenario you are eluding to protecting against?

The beauty of netapp, imho, is vfilers and vfiler-dr.   Single failover within a few minutes... Replicates the shares.. also, helps migrate them..

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into this some more and determine how we proceed.

Good luck..   Just remember, Vfiler-dr is a life saver