ONTAP Discussions

Installing a Simulator

badoemanny

Hi all

I am trying to run the netapp simulator in Ubuntu 8.10. However I'm unable to proceed past "bash setup.sh -z". I keep getting "bash: setup.sh: No such File or Directory". I tried using "../setup.sh" but still no joy.

I have struggled to understand why its doing this and as I am a brand new novice at the is Linux lark, I'm not sure where else to look. Please please please someone please help as I've got my NS0-163 exams coming up in a couple of weeks.

Regards

Manny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lrhvidsten

I think Ryan found the most probable cause for your error.

Try these steps at the terminal:

su -

Password: <enter your password here>

cd /media/cdrom

ls

You should see the setup.sh file listed. If not, perhaps the cdrom (or .iso file) didn't mount, so try:

mount /media/cdrom

cd /media/cdrom

ls

Once you've confirmed you're in the /media/cdrom directory and the setup.sh exists, enter:

./setup.sh

If you never can find the setup.sh file after mounting the cdrom or .iso file, you may have a bad image.

The guide Bren mentioned is on the cdrom as well as https://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/docs/vmware_linux_simulator_installation.pdf and is very helpful. Another resource I suggest looking at is "Installing the Netapp simulator 7.3" at:

http://tendam.wordpress.com/documents/

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

BrendonHiggins

Sorry I am not great with Linux.  I have built a couple of different simulators and have found it best to use the software versions and follow the instructions to the letter.  Stay away from the VM Ware host tools as the simulator will work without them.

In an ideal world you should be able to download a VM applicate with the simulator already configured and ready to run.

Bren

ryanstather

Hi Manny,

Which directory are you in when performing "./setup.sh"? You should be able to navigate to the directory where this file is located (check w/ "ls" and make sure you can see it) and then try it again...  Also, you might want to try "sudo ./setup.sh" which will give you root (administrator) privileges but you will need to enter the root password you used during setup (If you entered no root password then just hit enter twice when the prompt appears)...  Let us know if you are still having any issues and good luck!

Regards,

Ryan

I would like to second the motion for a pre-built VMWare image (.vmdk) which I've heard used to be available? Come on NetApp!!!

lrhvidsten

I think Ryan found the most probable cause for your error.

Try these steps at the terminal:

su -

Password: <enter your password here>

cd /media/cdrom

ls

You should see the setup.sh file listed. If not, perhaps the cdrom (or .iso file) didn't mount, so try:

mount /media/cdrom

cd /media/cdrom

ls

Once you've confirmed you're in the /media/cdrom directory and the setup.sh exists, enter:

./setup.sh

If you never can find the setup.sh file after mounting the cdrom or .iso file, you may have a bad image.

The guide Bren mentioned is on the cdrom as well as https://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/docs/vmware_linux_simulator_installation.pdf and is very helpful. Another resource I suggest looking at is "Installing the Netapp simulator 7.3" at:

http://tendam.wordpress.com/documents/

badoemanny

Hi Leif

Had a look at Installing the Netapp simulator 7.3" document as per your link below and realised that my ubuntu iso file was corrupt as a lot of files were missing from it. Don't know how but that was the case. I have downloaded a new iso file, which I'll try out when back home tonite.

Will keep you posted.

Regards

Manny

ryanstather

Hi Manny,

I could be wrong but I believe Leif was referring to the simulator image being corrupted but it's possible that the Ubuntu image being incomplete could contribute to your problem...  Either way when you mount the simulator image just open a terminal window and make sure you are in the correct location and perform the commands that Leif and I described... If you are still unable to install please copy/paste the output from your terminal window so we can further assist you! Good luck!!!

Regards,

Ryan

P.S. When do you write your exam and what do you hope to test? Just out of curiousity...

badoemanny

Hi Ryan

I believe he was; however when I did an "ls" against my folder list there weren't as many files and folders as I anticipated. I also checked the folder list on the CD image and couldn't find setup.sh on there, which made me think it might have been a problem with the image.

With regards to the exam, I'll be doing the NS0-163 exam; I have already done the NS0-153, which was fairly straight forward. This one is a different kettle of fish and requires a lot of practise as well as study. I will be doing the exam on the 30th of July. Want to combine it with my VCP - VMware exam so I can better placed in the market when the economy picks up.

Thanks for your help Ryan. I'll no doubt be calling again if I get stuck somewhere along the line...!

Speak soon

Regards

Manny

ryanstather

Hi Manny,

Best of luck to you on your upcoming exams! What are the cost associated with these types of exams like? I have been considering pursuing some of these certifications but have never gone as far as obtaining any 'real' information... Sorry to pry...

When I installed the simulator I actually just extracted the image so that I didn't have to worry about mounting it.  There is also a dedicated simulator forum as well:

http://communities.netapp.com/community/interfaces_and_tools/simulator

In case you have any issues when you complete the install as it can be quite finicky...

Keep us posted!

Ryan

badoemanny

Hi Ryan

I have now installed the simulator - version 7.2.4.1 - but configuring is a bit finicky, as you put it. I was trying to use my Domain environment - Active Directory - to configure it but wasn't successful. I did so because the option for the Workgroup wasn't happening for me either. I'll be going back to 7.2.3 to see if that helps, as documentation was for that version of the simulator.

the cost for the NS0-153 and 163 exams was £106 each at the time of applying. The company I work for paid for the 5 day course last year. I decided to do the exam off my own back.

Regards

Manny

ryanstather

Hi Manny,

Thank you for the information you provided regarding the cost of the exams... I'll have to convert to Canadian dollars but I'm sure the prices are quite similar...

Glad to hear you were at least able to get the install to happen and hopefully you will have better luck w/ the configuration of 7.2.3.  I would be glad to provide any assistance I can if you are still experiencing any difficulties...

If this is the case I would suggest trying the newest version of the simulator which is 7.3.1 as I believe they worked a few of the kinks out in this version and it also supports the testing of de-dupe which may or may not be of interest to you... Best of luck!

Regards,

Ryan

7.3.1 - https://now.netapp.com/cgi-bin/simulatorlic.cgi/download/tools/simulator/ontap/7.3.1/7.3.1-sim-cdrom-image-v22.iso

chal_arun

Hi

I am not able to download the simulator from the link mentioned.

Getting 401 Unauthorized

Have any idea to access the link

ryanstather

Hi Arunanchal,

It sounds like problems w/ your browser or companies internal security settings perhaps... You should be able to navigate to:

http://now.netapp.com/

If you are unable to use this link just type the address into your browser (You may be able to do the same w/ the previous link). You will need to login to your now account and find "Download Software" on the right hand side. Then look for "Data ONTAP Simulator" under "Toolchest" on the upper right hand side and it should be fairly straightforward from there... Let us know if you still can't access the simulator after following these steps!

Regards,

Ryan

danielpr

Manny,

Do you have a AD Server in your test lab environment. What is the error your are getting during the CIFS setup failure ? .

I am happy to help you in this regard. BTW I don’t see any problem in CIFS with Data ONTAP 7.2.4.1 .

Thanks

Daniel

badoemanny

Hi Ryan

Just to let you know that i passed the ns0-163 exam. It was a tough one but I got through in the end. Lots of questions on MetroCluster (which was quite a tough one for as I didnt have the environment to appreciate), SnapRestore and SnapMirror.

I believe there is still a lot for me to learn too but I'll be looking for an opportunity somewhere to get my teeth to chew on...

Chat later

M

ryanstather

Hi Manny,

Congratulations on passing the exam!  I still have a lot to learn about MetroCluster and a few areas that are covered in the exam myself but I will likely try to write it in the near future and will let you know how I make out...  I'm in the same boat as far as not having the environment to be able to test certain things but I plan to use the simulator to try and experiment as much as I can and converse with colleagues of mine about their experiences. I'll keep you posted as I said but wish you all the best in getting the opportunites you seek and let me know if you pursue any further exams/certifications.

Cheers,

Ryan

netappnasadmin

Hello Manny,

please find the attached document for installing the ONTAP simulator with step by step.

first take the image in USB drive and insert USB drive to your desktop and mount the USB image onto the VM HOST and follow the document steps exactly you can install.

badoemanny

Hi Navin

thanks for the script. I'll use it if I get stuck again. I would like to get my hands dirtied first; if it works then great, if not then will see how your script can work for me. Thank you.

Regards

Manny

Public