ONTAP Discussions

Installing new 8.1.2 C-mode image

OPHELIA_GENTRY

Hello,

I have an  FAS2040 running DOT 8.1 7-mode. I'm going to wipe it out completely (data migration is not important for my project) and install 8.1 C-mode on it.

I've downloaded 812P1_e_image.tgz and have run "software update" and it appeared to simply install DOT 8.1.2 7-mode on the controller. I rebooted, and entered the Boot Menu, and reinitialized the disks (option 4), but once again, it came back up on 7-mode by default. I was expecting to be prompted for 7-mode or C-mode during the setup, but this did not happen.

What am I missing here? I have not been able to locate any documents or forum threads on how to install the C-mode software image. All comments, tips and insight on the process are very welcome here. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dburkland

Are you going to be using the 2040 for test purposes?

You can convert an existing 7-mode system to c-mode by following the steps in this KB article: https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013517&cat=DATA_ONTAP_8_CLUSTER_MODE&actp=LIST

You will also need to keep licensing in mind.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dburkland

Are you going to be using the 2040 for test purposes?

You can convert an existing 7-mode system to c-mode by following the steps in this KB article: https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1013517&cat=DATA_ONTAP_8_CLUSTER_MODE&actp=LIST

You will also need to keep licensing in mind.

OPHELIA_GENTRY

Yes, our old FAS2040 is only for testing - hence our best candidate to try out C-mode.

Thanks a bunch for the link to the KB. I missed it while reading through the KB listings under C-mode. I'm going through it now... will know in a few hours once all the zeroing is done!

dburkland

Not a problem, reply back when you are done with the conversion. I also have a 2040 I use for testing that I was thinking of converting to C-Mode.

Dan

OPHELIA_GENTRY

C-mode successfully installed on the FAS2040. Moving on to configuration. Dan - let me know if you want details, I have captured most of my installation steps.

dburkland

The details would be great, feel free to PM them to me. Thanks!

Public