ONTAP Discussions

Looking for systems that unintentionally shipped with DOT 8.1 installed

mcope

I'm receiving reports from Channel Partners of FAS3200 and 20x0 systems being delivered to customer with 8.1RC2 installed.  All of them claim 8.1 was not specified in the sales order.  Product Ops has been notified and is looking into this.  Please post if you've seen systems delivered in the last two weeks (Feb 12 - present)  with 8.1 installed so we can figure out where 8.1 is being specified in the ordering or shipping process.

FYI, there appears to be a bug in 8.1RC2 where if you try to revert to an earlier version, the ONTAP upgrader sees it as a downgrade and does not prompt the user to run revert_to    There's a BURT open on this.  If you've had this problem, please open a case with NGS and ask them to attach the case to BURT 540949

6 REPLIES 6

aborzenkov

Is this bug present in 8.1RC3 as well?

mcope

Since RC3 came out before the BURT was created, I would assume it is (but with 2 months between the release dates or RC2 and RC3, maybe we will get lucky).

CCOLEMAN_

Hey Michael,

We are doing a tech refresh for a customer that's scheduled for Monday. It's on 3210HA and one 3210, and we did not specify 8.1.

I'm kind of curious which versions the filers got shipped with, and I was wondering if we would be able to find this out before Monday, without the customer opening up the boxes and trying to find out themselves. (they're 3 hours away so driving down there is kind of rough)

Is there someone maybe we can call or check with to see what it got shipped out with? This way we can prepare a little further for Monday?

I checked the final quote / oew and it only says "SW-3210-ONTAP8-C"

Thanks for the heads up and I will report back with our results either way.

mcope

Hi Chris,

The easiest way to find out what version of ONTAP is shipped is to get the NetApp Sales Order number and log into the NOW website.  There's a link on the homepage to check Order Status (http://now.netapp.com/eservice/orderstatus/osp.jsp.)

The tool also can search on Purchase Order (although I've never tried it) or by open orders by customer name.  If the system was shipped with 8.1 the Sales Order will have an entry like this:

SW-ONTAP8.1-7M

If you have trouble getting this info, send me an email with the customer name through pshelp@netapp.com

CCOLEMAN_

Thanks for the quick response Michael,

You seem to be a bottomless pit of helpful information!

I will try your suggestions and e-mail you if neccesary.

-Chris

mcope

Here is the latest:   A few weeks ago, SnapLock was added to a license bundle.  If you select the right combination of license bundles a la carte instead of the 'complete' bundle, the order tool automagically selects 8.1 because that's the only current version of ONTAP that supports SnapLock.  We're working to change how SnapLock gets selected, but for now make sure your sales reps don't generate orders with the SnapLock license.

Public