ONTAP Discussions

MIGRATING LUN IN AN A-A CLUSTERED FILERS

NAYABRASOOL

Hello Experts,

We have LUN a which needs to be moved from one filer to another filer can anybody help me out how to perform this do i need to have a LUN created already at the destination filer of same size or larger to migrate please help me with detailed steps.

Note :- Both the filers are in A-A CLUSTER mode and are FAS2040 now please let me know how i am gonna proceed on this .

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

You can do vol copy - same end result, but no luxury of incremental updates.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

SNETAPPUSER

Why don't you try Asycronius SnapMirror between filers? Once trasnfer is completed, in a planned maintanance window, do Snapmirror Update, Unmap the original LUN, Mapped the New LUN from the Other Filer and continue on your normal business work

scottgelb

agreed...best way to go. Also run "lun serial" to get the lun serial number to apply to the new location so the serial number is the same.  Depending on the OS there can be some troubleshooting when the lun has a different serial number so when we snapmirror luns for a migration we make sure the target has the same lunid and serial number and the host just works when it remounts.

NAYABRASOOL

Oops don have SnapMirror License is there any other way to do this please help me out .

radek_kubka

You can do vol copy - same end result, but no luxury of incremental updates.

NAYABRASOOL

you mean to say copy theVolume on which the LUN residing right i mean

vol copy -S filer1:/vol/vol1/Lun1  filer2:/vol/vol1/Lun2

Will this command do ???      else what if i want to migrate only the Data from the LUN  in filer1 to filer2 LUN

scottgelb

Yes… with the lun disconnected from the host though. A one time copy. You can also request a snapmirror demo key from your NetApp team and tell them what you are doing.

radek_kubka

You don't specify LUN path, just the volume.

If you want to migrate data only, you need to create target LUN first and then move the data via host, when both LUNs are connected.

NAYABRASOOL

..... We are getting downtime from the  client so there will be no data written to that LUN at that TIME till this activity gets completed, Could you please tell me the detailed plan to do this.

NAYABRASOOL

...Say this LUN was in FAS02 now has to be moved to FAS01 please help me out with the Exact command syntax plzzz

maliu

Have you seen this post below?

LUN Migration Tool

https://communities.netapp.com/docs/DOC-15670

JWHITE_COMPUNET

If you need to move between 7-mode controllers, SnapMirror is generally the way to go unless your application has native disk migration capabilities built in.  SnapMirror evaluation licenses are easy to acquire.  This method results in a very small outage window.

Is this a Fiber Channel LUN or an iSCSI LUN?  if iSCSI, it would be possible to stage the LUN in a vFlier and perform a vFiler migrate between controllers for non-disruptive migration.  (Much more complex to set up).

NetApp also has a data migration appliance which can move FC LUNs non-disruptively.  A local NetApp partner can bring this onsite as a PS engagement.

I haven't seen this migration tool before, I will take a look at it.

kotapavan

If you cannot get a trial license for Snap mirror, you might probably want to do host based migration. Just create a same size LUN and mount it to the host and copy the data from OS. It will be slower than Filer based migration, but you will know that the files are copied. You can use tools like robocopy if the host is Windows and if the Host is ESX, you can do Storage VMotion.

If you want to use vol copy, you need to make sure that the host is not writing to the LUN. It will be best if you can get a down time to shut down host.

create a same type of volume on destination filer and it should be same size or bigger than source volume.

Syntax for vol copy is : vol copy start Source_filer:source_volume destination_filer:destination_volume.

JWHITE_COMPUNET

Call your NetApp partner and you can get SnapMirror eval licenses.  If not, PM me and I'll get them for you.

premunixsa

Nayab,

try to copy the volume using ndmpcopy.

ndmpcopy -sa username(ndmp user):password -da username(ndmp user):password source-filer:source_path destination-filer:destination_path.Check lun details while mounting to destination host once migrated.Moreover,incremental updates can be performed using ndmpcopy

Public