ONTAP Discussions

Max number of snapshots in an active/active cluster

regis_graf

Hello everyone.

We plan tu upgrade to ontap 7.3.2, and the upgrade advisor says that we cannot do a NDU because of the too many snapshots we have.

What is the max number of snapshots allowed on an active/active cluster ? I find that 255 snapshot is the max for a volume, but what is the limit for a system, and also for a cluster ?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Regis

2 REPLIES 2

adamfox

Technically there's no limit on the cluster per se.  You can have 255 snaps per volume & the # of volumes per system (which I think is 500 per controller, but I'd have to look it up).

The NDU guidelines exist due to failover times.  This is particularly important if you have LUNs on your system.  If it's NAS-only you may be able to get away with it anyway unless you have an app (like Oracle RAC) which has similar 120 second requirements.

I believe the snap NDU limit is 10 * # of volumes supported for NDU which varies by platform, but is typically between 100-300.

I think Upgrade Advisor should tell you what the max # of snapshots for your platform when it says you are over the limit (or it did when I maintained the code )

regis_graf

Thanks for your answer. we were affraid of having issue whith takeover with a lot of snapshots, more than having to do a normal upgrade.

Public