Subscribe

MetroCluster FCoE support?

Is it going to be supported on a near future?

With FCoE and 10Gb LAN switches available, seems like tradicional FC environments are going to be history sooner than later.

Re: MetroCluster FCoE support?

Hi,

It's a tricky question & although I am not in the position do give a definite answer about NetApp plans, I don't think it will be supported in the nearest future.

Bear in mind FC is used in MetroCluster support for back-end, controller to disk shelf cabling & that's something very different from host connectivity. In particular there are no disk drives / shelves using FCoE.

FC disk drives though eventually will be all replaced with SAS drives. So for me the more intriguing question is:

when will we see SAS-to-FC (or SAS-to-FCoE) bridge to enable DS4243 shelf support in a MetroCluster setup?

Kind regards,
Radek

FC disk drives though eventually will be all replaced with SAS drives. So for me the more intriguing question is:

when will we see SAS-to-FC (or SAS-to-FCoE) bridge to enable DS4243 shelf support in a MetroCluster setup?

Good question. I would also like to know what Netapp's roadmap is for MetroCluster (especially fabric) using the newer shelf technology.

Richard

FCoE support for MetroCluster is some ways away. However support for SAS and SATA technologies with MetroCluster is being worked on right now.

SAS-to-FCoE, that's what im talking about.

Hi lanson,

Any idea about the release plans of SAS and SATA support for MetroCluster?