ONTAP Discussions

MetroCluster cDOT: upgrade controller using ARL

RAFAEL_GUEDES

Hi,

I'm reading TR-4375 (MetroCluster for Data ONTAP Version 8.3) and I got confused about MC planned operation: upgrade controller using ARL (page 28).

TR states in MC "Aggregate relocation can be used to nondisruptively upgrade controller models in place; for example, to upgrade FAS8040 to FAS8080." And "Disk mirroring continues during the ARL process but NVRAM needs to be disabled."

Until here, OK!

But now it states  "Therefore the aggregates stay in sync; if a forced switchover is necessary during this time, at most the last 10 seconds of transactions may be missing."

And my question is: if I've disabled NVRAM, how could I miss any transaction?? Smiley Frustrated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov
You can't disable NVRAM; you can disable NVRAM mirroring between locations. Which means you cal lose data since latest CP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

aborzenkov
You can't disable NVRAM; you can disable NVRAM mirroring between locations. Which means you cal lose data since latest CP.

RAFAEL_GUEDES

You are right. I was thinking about disable NVRAM as a whole, not only the replication between DR Partners. Thanks for helping!

Public