ONTAP Discussions

Migrate vFilers from 32bit to 64bit aggregates - only possible with 8.1?

abuchmann

Hello Guys

We have just ordered four new controllers for a new fileserver infrastructure and I'm now planning for the upcoming data migration. The current fileserver is a FAS3140A mirrored to a FAS3020A, all controllers running DOT 7.3.6P5. All data is served through vFilers, so I thought about migrating the vFiler and the containing data through "vfiler migrate". The new infrastructure is based on VST, which forces me to use 64bit-aggregates. That woud require a 32bit to 64bit-snapmirror relationship for the data migration.

Is 8.1 the only release that currently supports a task like this?

Kind regards,

Adrian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radek_kubka

Hi Adrian,

Yes, it is correct - as long as we are talking about Volume SnapMirror, you need ONTAP 8.1 on the destination.

Regards,

Radek

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

aborzenkov

For a start, 8.x is not supported by FAS3020 ...

abuchmann

I'm not planning to upgrade the FAS3140 and the FAS3020. I have to migrate the data from this controller to our new infrastructure (FAS3270) with snapmirror.

radek_kubka

Hi Adrian,

Yes, it is correct - as long as we are talking about Volume SnapMirror, you need ONTAP 8.1 on the destination.

Regards,

Radek

abuchmann

AFAIK vfiler migrate is using VSM, so it should be possible. Thank you for your answer.

scottgelb

You will not be able to use data motion but vFiler migrate will be possible. VFiler migrate uses Vsm or qsm based on the container assigned to the vFiler. If only a qtree is assigned to the vFiler then qsm is used. This is usually not the case though and best practice is to assign volumes to a vFiler. If all volume assignment Vsm is used.

scottgelb

Yes on 8.1 for 32 to 64 Mirrors. Migrate may take some more time but should work. I would create a test vFiler to vet the procedure. Using vFiler migrate on the cli without a guaranteed time to cutover.

Public