2012-04-19 09:52 PM
Dear NetApp Gurus,
I'm planning to migrate from old 3160 filer to new 3270 & need your advice:
.- What should I do to keep the old vFiler IP migrate into new vFiler ?
- Do I have to stand up an additional port and patch it into the same VLAN from old to new filer? Or should I re-assign 2 out of 4 current ports in tghe new filer from the trucking group into a diffrent VLAN ?
Thanks in advance & looking forward to hear from you soon.
2012-04-19 10:07 PM
For vFiler migrate, you need to match each IP to an interface. 1 to 1 but that doesn't mean they have to match port counts. For example if you have 4 IPs on 4 different single interfaces on the 3160, you could create an ifgrp with 4 interfaces, then create 4 VLANs over that ifgrp and bind the 4 IPs to each VLAN. The key thing is to have matching ports where the IP will work...typically the same performance (port count) unless you aren't fully utilizing ports. Then you can look at vFiler migrate, or also vFiler Data Motion. ONTAP 7.3 and 8.1 support data motion for a guaranteed 120 second vfiler migration.
2012-04-20 04:34 AM
Good Morning Scott,
Thanks again for your timely advice as always !
The draft action plan for your review:
- Got 2 IPs in subnet 170.173.160.x
- Submit DNS request form to connect the 2 new IPs with new DNS name for new filer pairs: nas6901-vif400 & nas6913-vif400
- Swap switch ports connected to e5b, e5c & e5d on both filer nas6901 & nas6913 to VLAN 400
- Break the trunk on both nas6901/6913 (Data traffic will be interrupted, Is there a better way to swap vif without data interrupt ?)
- Re-create 2 trunks on both nas6901/6913: ports e0a, e0b & e5a in vif1 & ports e5b, e5c & e5d in vif400
- Double check all ports/IPs are ping able
- Run a vFiler migration to use new vif400 & verify the data access are OK in new filers
Would you please double check to find out any hole in the suggested action plan ?
Cheers & Happy Friday
2012-04-20 06:39 AM
Of both old and new are running currently... You can migrate or data motion. Match network ports from the source then the migrate or data motion wizard will let you map ports. For migrate you would create Ifgrps and vlans but no ifconfig for the vFiler. Then migrate will move ips as you tell it on the wizard.
Sent from my iPhone 4S
2012-04-20 06:43 AM
Salute to Scott !
Would you be kind enough to also advice a best practice to migrate a regular volume from old filer to a new vFiler in the new 3270 filer as well ?
Thanks & Happy Friday