ONTAP Discussions

Missing Features in New NetApp 12.1.0.1.0 Plug-In

CATALINESANU

Hi,

We've been considering using the new NetApp 12.1.0.1.0 Plug-In for Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, but it seems to be missing many metrics in comparison to the older target type in OEM 10g/11g ("NetApp Filer") - for example "Buffer Cache" metrics or "File or Directory" metrics.

Also, there are only three configurable thresholds in the new plug-in.

Is this intentional? Are there any plans to issue a newer version of the plugin with more extensive functionality?

Many thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

anandr

Hi Catalin,

We are now working on version 12.1.0.2.0 of the NetApp Storage System Plug-in for OEM 12c.  New features in this version include:

• Support for monitoring Clustered Data ONTAP storage systems
  • A new report that consolidates database and storage performance for NFS databases
  • Monitoring of new metrics
  • Customizable thresholds for almost all metrics
  • Customizable https port

Can you please list other metrics that you are interested in monitoring that exist in the OEM 11g plug-in and not in the plug-in for OEM 12c.

Thanks

Anand Ranganathan

Product Manager - Oracle Products, Integrations and Solutions

CATALINESANU

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you have an estimation as to when the new version will be released?

I will send you a missing metrics list soon.

Thanks,

Catalin

anandr

Hi Catalin,

We plan to release version 2.0 in a month's time.  Yes please send me the list as soon as possible.

Thanks

Anand.

DBA_STL_MARK

I installed the current version of the plugin and it shows basic performance data as expected.

What I don't understand is how does the mapping of Netapp NFS volumes to databases occur?  Is there a 'discovery' I need to run?

I don't see any data when I run a 'Database Storage Utilization' report.

Thanks, Mark.

sachin1

Hi Mark,

Please confirm the below steps:

1) Make sure that you have discovered database from Oracle Enterprise Manager and it is listed as Target.

2) Ensure that storage controller is registered with NetApp plug-in on which database resides.

3) Please ensure that you have used same storage controller (IP address or fully qualified domain name) as defined in fstab entry on linux host for database nfs mount point. It is recommended to use IP address at both places because storage controller can have multiple data IPs (data IP and management IP address)

4) While launching Database Storage Utilization report from plug-in home page, please make sure that you have selected "Database Instance" by clicking on selection icon. By default, it selects storage controller instance. This is limitation from Information Publisher Reporting tool that by default, it picks same target type instance.. This will be fixed when we will migrate reports to BI publisher reporting.

Point to note: Sometimes, it takes more than 6 hours to reflect the storage mapping after storage and database registration with OEM.

Please let me know your feedback.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

DBA_STL_MARK

1) Yes

2) Yes, the SANs in question have been added to OEM. 

3) I think what you are saying is that the Netapp console has to be on the same subnet as NFS????

In our case the console is on a different subnet than the NFS traffic.   So OEM will talk to the Netapp console

on xx.nn  while NFS traffic occurs on  yy.nn - two different IP's.   If this is the requirement for database mapping report

to work then I think we are out of luck.

4) Yes I have tried this.

sachin1

Hi Mark,

All points are fine. We need to discuss about point 3. It's not subnet. We do support database to storage mapping across subnet communication i.e NetApp console and NFS traffic can be on different subnet. What we need to validate is: IP address entry for NFS mount point in /etc/fstab file on linux host on which database resides. For version 1.0, we have a requirement that storage name or ip address in fstab file should map to IP address or storage name used for storage controller registration on OEM "Add Targets" page. I request you to share following piece of information:

1) Fstab file entry for NFS mount point  on which database resides.

2) IP address or Storage name used at the time of storage controller registration to OEM.

Based upon that, we will decided further steps. If problem persists, we can do conf call to see your setup and do our best to make this report working for you.

Can you please share your company name?

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

Public