ONTAP Discussions

Moved Volumes - now Snapmirrors?

NETPAGA12

Hello, we moved a volume over to another Netapp.  What do we do with the Snapmirror that is now showing 'Broken' which used to be in place?

Delete and reimage, then resync?  Or edit existing relationship?

Snapmirror command was used to move volumes over so that relationship needs to be removed as well...?

14 REPLIES 14

scottgelb

If you don't need to replicate back, or to a tertiary site then you can delete the snapmirror snapshots and that will remove the broken entry.  You also should edit the snapmirror.conf entries to remove the schedule. Be careful though in case you need to resync back or forward of if another 3rd site where there is dr or other replication.

NETPAGA12

What I do need to do is for the moved volume is to replicate that back to the DR site where it was formerly replicating before the move.

scottgelb

Snap list to check there is a common snapshot between the two systems. If yes the snapmirror resync on the target. If not you have to re initialize.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

NETPAGA12

thanks for your help.

There looks to be a common snapshot ...448

I can resync that and go from there?

scottgelb

yes..be careful which side your resync though...the target will snaprestore back to that snapshot then roll forward from the source.

NETPAGA12

soo, I want to resync from the destination, correct?

scottgelb

Correct...the destination being the system that will revert back to the snapshot then match the source after update (losing all changes since the break)

NETPAGA12

I tried and got this:

Cannot specify a snapshot to transfer when snapmirroring an entire volume. 

scottgelb

Just resync and it will fin the common snap. Use -S source fas:volname

Sent from my iPhone 4S

NETPAGA12

Hi,  I tried this: 

snapmirror resync -n -s sourcedestination:sourcevol destsource:destinationtvol

and got this error:  Cannot specify a snapshot to transfer when snapmirroring an entire volume.

Is there something else I should be doing? 

aborzenkov

Capital `S' (-S) for source, not small `s'.

NETPAGA12

From advice, we opted to create a new snapmirror relation on another aggr.

I removed the snapmirror relationship along w/ any snapshots that had existed on source/destination.

The Snapmirrored volume on the destination that we don't need anymore is safe to delete now?

VKALVEMULA

did you try snapmirror resync command ?

NETPAGA12

From advice, we opted to create a new snapmirror relation on another aggr.

I removed the snapmirror relationship along w/ any snapshots that had existed on source/destination.

The Snapmirrored volume on the destination that we don't need anymore is safe to delete now?

Public