ONTAP Discussions

Moving Aggregate that contains root volume and luns

fabian213

Hello,

We are moving moving an aggretgate that contains the root volume and various luns (and shares) from a FAS3020 (cluster) to a FAS3050 (cluster). We are not swapping heads, we are physically moving the shelves. I've read the procedure for moving aggregates, but I don't think it takes into consideration luns and volumes. Is there are procedure or document that gives a bit of insight to this kind of procedure? How will the new filer recognize the luns? Will we have to recreate the shares and igroups? Is there a way to copy all of that info fro m the 3020 etc to the 3050 etc?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chriskranz

If the file is in Software Ownership mode (run "storage show" and look for the last line to see if SAN own is enabled).

If it's hardware ownership, boot the 3020 into maintenance mode and remove the ownership before you move the disks across.

Then move the disks across with the 3050 live. You can hot-plug the disks, the aggregate will get offlined automatically as it'll be foreign. It'll also get renamed (for instance aggr0 will become "aggr0(0)", which can get confusing!). You can rename this to aggr1 or whatever ("aggr rename aggr0(0) aggr1"). The moved root volume will get flagged up as well, but that's fine, rename it and online it. You can create a new share to this, or just do "rdfile /vol/foreign_vol0/cifsconfig_shares.cfg" on the console, and then copy and paste the contents.

You can ofcourse copy all the share information before moving the stuff across, but it doesn't have to be. Either way I'd keep the foreign vol0 in place for awhile, just in case there's any config info you haven't remembered to copy across of pull out.

Unfortunately the iGroups and LUN mappings aren't in a file, so these can't simply be copied across. You will have to recreate these, sorry!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Public