ONTAP Discussions

Moving CIFS shares from one FC aggr to SATA aggr

pankajgadhari

Hi all,

I have configured CIFS shares on my FAS3170 running ONTAP version 8.0.2P1 7-Mode. It has 2 aggregates FC and SATA. In our environment all our CIFS shares are on FC and now we are falling short of disk space on it, so I have to move some of the CIFS shares from FC aggrgate to SATA aggregate. Can somebody share the procedure of doing that. I would appreciate if there is step by step configurations for this. Before that, I want to find out which shares are on FC and then create a plan for the migration. Would like to have expert comments on the procedures so that the migration would be successful.

Thanks

virgo

11 REPLIES 11

AGUMADAVALLI

Hi there:

Use robocopy to copy the data. schedule downtime to change the share paths or if you have dfs (distributed file system) use it.

thank you,

AK G

pankajgadhari

Hi Agumadavalli,

Can you elaborate more on the steps. Can you provide an example with commands for doing that so that it will be easy for me to understand the steps.

Thanks

virgo

bsti

Another method you can use is Snapmirror.  To do that, you would do the following:

1) Create a new volume in your SATA aggregate of equivalent size to the volume you are going to migrate.

2)  From System Manager, connect to your destination controller (the one hosting the SATA volume), and drill down to SnapMirror.  Click the Create button.

3) Specify that you are in the Destination.

4) Enter in the source system ( the one hosting the FC volume you are copying from)

5) Specify the source volume in the next dialog.

6) Specify the destination SATA volume you created to make the copy to (alternately, you can create the volume right from this dialog).

7)  Specify a schedule for the Snapmirror relationship.  I'd think about having it sync once per hour or something.CLick the Initialize Snapmirror relationship box.

😎  Specify unlimited bandwidth.

Wait for the relationship to completely initialize, which will take time depending on the size of the volume.  Once complete, it will stay in sync via the schedule until you are ready to cut over. 

9)  Remove your old CIFS share.

10)  Break the Snapmirror relationship (Right-click the relationship in the Snapmirror widnow in System Manager and choose "Break").

11)  Create a new CIFS share and point to the SATA volume.

That should be it in a nutshell.

pankajgadhari

Hi bsti,

How can I check whether I have the snapmirror license on the filer, just need to verify it. I see snapmirror and snapmirror_sync while listing license command. snap_mirror shows the license and snapmirror_sync not. So, whether I need both or just snapmirror license.

rweeks

You just need the snapmirror license but snapmirror, as you know, replicates at the volume level so if you have multiple file shares within the same volume and want to keep some of them on FC and move some to SATA, although robocopy is a good solution for a small dataset, an easier solution for a large dataset would probably be to just snapmirror the entire volume to SATA, create some sort of admin share (share$) on the root of the new SATA volume you snapmirrored to, get into that new share, delete the folders that you don't plan to share from SATA, recreate the share mount points in System Manager pointing to the new folders in the SATA volume and press on.

Just my $.02

pankajgadhari

Thanks all for your suggestion. I will create a plan accordingly and revert if there are any questions

Virgo

GRAHAMTOWNSEND

One other consideration, if your CIFS share sits on a vfiler, there will be a file in the etc folder for the vfiler called cifsconfig_share.cfg. This will hold your share permissions. You can copy and paste each line from this file to the command prompt of the filer and it will recreate the CIFS shares and associated permissions that you had before. Snapmirror doesn't take over CIFS permissions.

scottgelb

One thing about running the commands manually is that when you create the share it automatically creates an access entry "Everyone" "Full Control".  When parsed in cifs_configshare.cfg at cifs startup the everyone full control access isn't created unless specifically listed.  I prefer to run "config dump -f -v" then "config restore" to get the cifs shares to make it work without getting everyone full control (unless already there for all the shares).  The -v gets the cifs shares in the config dump.

RULLMAN84

Hi there,

I noticed that you were running ONTAP 8.0.2.  With this is mind you could take advantage of the DataMotion software that comes with ONTAP 8.0.1.  This would allow you to move the volume containing your shares from one aggregate to another non-disruptively.  Here is a link: http://www.netapp.com/uk/products/platform-os/datamotion.html

Thanks

Ryan

scottgelb

In 7-mode volume data motion with vol move only is supported in San volumes. If a cifs share or nfs export the vol move will not run. In cluster-mode it doesn't matter San or NAS and same mode or different node... For for 7-mode San only and only on the same node with data motion for volumes.

scottgelb

Interesting this link says with or without Luns for data motion for volumes but wit any export or share it isn't supported. Some mix up between the marketing and tech doc.

Public