ONTAP Discussions

Moving a LUN from one filer to another

__jeremypage_3897

I have a clustered 3070 and I'd like to move a LUN from filer2 (mostly SATA) to filer1 (mostly FC). I've already got the igroups/zoning etc (it's FC) set up, the question I have is on how to move the actual data. If I do an ndmpcopy of the LUN is there a way I can just add it with lun map? It seems like that's all I'd need to do but since I've not done it before any advice would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

adamfox

ndmpcopy + lun remap has worked for me.

evilensky

Is there a step by step guide you could point me to for the process, or perhaps describe the steps in general terms? I thank you.

BrendonHiggins

Something like this? {How I moved some volumes with a SQL servers LUNs in them}

Volume move Step 1...... lun show -v and make a note of all the disk serial numbers for the LUNs on the cluster. you will need them in step X

Power down both SQL nodes
- I would probably remove the original iGroup at this point. or simply run >lun unmap on all the luns for that cluster.
Snap mirror the data one last time
Brake the mirrors and then delete the mirrors .....hmm well just remove the relationships and SnapMirror snapshots.

Rename **** and offline **** the old volumes
Delete the cifs shares
Rename the volumes on the new aggregate to the 'old' names
Create the cifs shares

X. lun offlline all the newly SnapMirrord LUNs (they are prob offline anyway here because of duplicate lun names)
lun serial on all the new luns.
>lun serial .....lunname.... old serial lun online all the new luns

Then re-map all the new luns...... >lun map ...lun name... iGroup Name

Power on the active cluster node
Confirm all is working
Power on the passive cluster node
Tea and medals all round... .... and a beer for Mr McMath

BrendonHiggins

I have used snapmirror and vol copy in the past. Snapmirror worked best for me but you need a license for snapmirror first.

lhoffman1

Hi.@ll.

it's not possible to fixed this task with "lun clone" and after them "lun split" ? On the same filer works fine that.

Or another option is , take lun offline and create new volume on destination and use robocopy about cifs share or anything.

Are this correct ways or do i have errors in reasonings ?

regards Lutz Hoffmann Germany

Public