ONTAP Discussions

Moving an Aggr from one Cluster node to the other.

alexjohnston2

Hi

Has anyone ever moved an Aggr from one half of a cluster to the other without backup/restoring etc...?

I have seen this doco http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel724/html/ontap/mgmtsag/5aggr8.htm, but that seems to be more for moving to a whole new cluster I don't have a place where I can test it.

Thanks

Alex.

2 REPLIES 2

adamfox

If you are talking about physically moving disks from one side of a cluster to another, then it depends on what kind of disk ownership you are using in your cluster. If it's HW ownership, then you would follow that KB article to a tee. If you hare using software ownership, instead powering everything down, you could simply re-assign those disks over to the other side of the cluster, then bring the aggregate back online when you're done.

If you are talking about logically moving them, you could use aggr copy, but that assumes you have disks on the other side to move the data and doesn't sound like what you want to do.

unixservices

in this condition you don't have to think it's a cluster, you have 2 machines! you will move the aggregate from the first machine to the second, if it is a cluster or not is regardless

you can use aggr copy, or snap mirror

Public