Subscribe
Accepted Solution

NDMP Restore to C-DOT

Hi we are in the process of switching an old netapp installation with Ontap 7.3.7 to a pair of new filers with c-dot under 8.3 i guess. I have a question regarding the restore of old backups. On our old filers we are doing the backup of the cifs volume (qtrees) with emc networker 8. My question is will i be able to restore data (docs, xls, etc.) from old backups to the new c-dot cifs area ?

Re: NDMP Restore to C-DOT

As per page below dump/restore should work fine between 7-Mode and cDOT:

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1368707/html/GUID-C49A1B05-D3AE-467C-B191-8D552211F9FE.html

We've got info from Netapp that NDMP restore of data backed up in 7-Mode with Backup SW >should<  work error free in cDOT.

I would consider following actions before upgrade to cDOT:

- make sure to use AD based auth and avoid CIFS local groups

- at first step upgrade storage system to 7-Mode  8.1.4 (,convert aggrs) and take full backup

BR

just spoken with collegue: backup of CIFS data taken in 7-mode (dot 8.1.2) was successfully restored over NDMP (node scope configuration as Networker does not support CAB NDMP extention yet) with NW 8.0.2.3 in cDOT (8.2.2p2).

BR

Hi,

thanks for you reply. Meanwhile we did test with Ontap Simulator 8.3 and i can confirm that ndmp restores from our old environment are working. The only issue we have right now is that the ACL´s don´t get restored somehow, but the data itself is ok.

We are having the same issue.

Same issue here.

We successfully restored from 7-mode vol backups to cDOT vol using Networker 8.2.3.1.  7-mode was 8.2p6 and new cDOT cluster is 8.3.2p4.

Had to use networker cli though but so far all is successful:

"C:\Users\backupuser>nsrndmp_recover  -s <networker_server> -c <netapp_7-mode_controller> -S <networker_SSID> -v off -m <netapp_cDOT_svm_name>::/<netapp_cDOT _svm_name>/<volume_name>/<folder> /vol/<netapp_7-mode_volume_name>/<folder>

syntax is nsrnbmp_recover -s BACKUPSERVER -c NETAPP7-MODECONTROLLER -S NETWORKERSSID -v off -m NETAPPCDOTSVM::/NETAPPCDOTSVM/NETAPPCDOTVOLUME/FOLDER /vol/NETAPP7-MODEVOLUME/FOLDER

where -c is the old netapp controller running 7-mode."