ONTAP Discussions

NFS FOR VMWARE DATASTORE

netappmagic

When use NFS for VMWare datastore, does than mean we use the exported vol or qtree for each individual VMDK?

what is the implementation or architecture here?

Thanks for your advice!

7 REPLIES 7

JGPSHNTAP

Don't take this the wrong way, but you really should be looking at the WBT's for netapp.  

You export the vol ,don't use qtree's for vmware

tsab911

My best practice approach is to always export qtrees and not root of volumes however personally I prefer block storage

@netappmagic wrote:

When use NFS for VMWare datastore, does than mean we use the exported vol or qtree for each individual VMDK?

what is the implementation or architecture here?

Thanks for your advice!

RANJBASSI

We use block level storage for VMware datastores.

If we want to use SnapVault to do you need to assign qtrees for these Vmware presented LUNS?

Thanks

JGPSHNTAP

^^

I assume we are talking 7-mode here.  Are you planning on use Oncommand to manage datasets for snapvault?   If so, then you need qtrees.  If you aren't planning on using OCUM, then you can do volume based via the command line.  But it will be volume -> qtree   vol/vol1  -> /vol/dst/qtree

RANJBASSI

Hi

I am planning on using OCUM. I have created the snapvault jobs from here as well and plan to create flexclone of the volume as a way to restore to an earlier snapvault initiated snapshot.

I thought you didnt need qtrees for flexvolumes whch are just used as data luns? there is an option to create a none qtree snapvault. I have had to create a qtree on the destination end which isnt an issue.

netapp_qtree1.jpg

netapp-qtree2.jpg

netappmagic

I have read a lot about how NFS better than FC lun when using datastore for vmware. Can anbody please name a few reasons why you would prefer use FC over NFS?

I just want to learn not to argue about it.

Thanks!

SATISH_PAMARTHI1983

As long as you have a better network, it ok to go for NFS datastore like 10g network or else i'd suggest to go for FC LUN.

Public