ONTAP Discussions

NTP Server 5 seconds error

tombhandari1

When I run

cluster time-service ntp server create -server X.X.X.X.-version auto,

I get this error:

Error: command failed: Unable to successfully query NTP server X.X.X.X with address  X.X.X.X. within 5 seconds.

Can anyone help please?

6 REPLIES 6

georgevj

Which version of ONTAP? Can you successfully ping NTP server via the node management LIF? 

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

kdean1979

I am having the same error running on Ontap 9.1.  And I can ping the NTP servers from the node mgmt LIF.

Any suggestions

georgevj

Please take a look at this article to see if it helps.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/s/article/ka31A00000013JSQAY/how-to-configure-and-troubleshoot-ntp-on-clustered-data-ontap-8-2-and-later-using-cli?langu...

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

sdkhlr

Hey this page is not available. I also have the same problem.  

Is there other commands to solve this problem? Thank you

georgevj

here is the link

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/How_to_configure_and_troubleshoot_NTP_on_clustered_Data_ONTAP_8.2_and_...

sdkhlr

Hi thank you for your quick reply, but on Cluster is already one Time Server configured. I need to add 2 more time servers because of the redundancy. 

As you can see below, I can ping the time servers, they are available. But unfortunately I get the following errors when I enter the command to add additional timer servers.

sdkhlr_1-1611240474535.png

Public