ONTAP Discussions

Need help to choose one of the technology between flash pool and storage pool.

Naveenpusuluru

Hi Guys,

We are seeing so many latency issues in my environment. I have 12*400GB SSD drives. I want to configure flash pool using them, but i am in confusion. I have gone through storage pool concept also. Both the technologies can be used to increase the aggregate read write performances. Can any one suggest me that can i go with flash pool or storage pool?

We have two SAS aggregates on my cluster data ontap HA pair. I want to convert these two aggregates as flash pools. Please help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanHatfield

A flash pool is an aggregate consisiting of spinning disk raid groups for storage in combination with SSD for cache.  That SSD cache can either come from partitioned SSDs (storage pools) or full SSDs.  Storage pools provide more flexibility over how you allocate that cache capacity, and will likely yield a higher amount of usable cache.  

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

hariprak

Hi,

Flash Pool Design and Implementation Guide covers Flash Pool intelligent caching in depth in order to provide a firm understanding of how Flash Pool works, when to use it, and the best practices and design considerations for deploying Flash Pool. http://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4070.pdf

For Requirements and best practices for using SSD storage pools refer below link,
https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1636022/html/GUID-AF175C03-0021-45F7-A609-6D74AA1DC79E.html

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Naveenpusuluru

Hi @hariprak

I have gone through these docs. what i am asking is which one is the best technique in order to increase the performance of aggregates.

SeanHatfield

A flash pool is an aggregate consisiting of spinning disk raid groups for storage in combination with SSD for cache.  That SSD cache can either come from partitioned SSDs (storage pools) or full SSDs.  Storage pools provide more flexibility over how you allocate that cache capacity, and will likely yield a higher amount of usable cache.  

Public