ONTAP Discussions

Need to make a qtree on a snapvault snapshot clone writable without breaking the snapvault relationship

sudha_k_iyer

Hi ,

Here is what I am trying to do.

I use DFM to setup a snapvault relationship. This gets me a read only qtree on the snapvault destination.

I now clone the destination snapvault volume containing the read-only qtree out of a snapvault destination snapshot.This gets me a r/w volume clone

but the qtree by itself is read-only.

Is there a way for me to now change the qtree permission on the clone volume to read-write w/o messing with the original snapvault relationship?

thanks

Sudha

8 REPLIES 8

eric_barlier

I think you can break the clone and it will become read and write. In order to test this you could create a new clone and then break it.

Regards

Eric

sudha_k_iyer

Thanks..I will try this and see how it goes.

-Sudha

sudha_k_iyer

I cannot split the volume clone since it says that the volume clone has snapshots busy.

The snapshot that is busy is the snapvault base snapshot.

Is there a way to just change the permissions of the qtree on the clone w/o splitting it (even if I were able to split it , splitting is a time consuming process and the use case of the clone is such that its lifespan is really short.

hfiler6*> snapvault status -l /vol/SnapProtect_backup_149/SnapProtect_hfiler3_KedarNFSVolume

Snapvault is ON.

Source:                 hfiler3.testlab.commvault.com:/vol/KedarNFSVolume/-

Destination:            hfiler6:/vol/SnapProtect_backup_149/SnapProtect_hfiler3_KedarNFSVolume

Progress:               -

State:                  Snapvaulted

Lag:                    17:21:17

Mirror Timestamp:       Tue Mar 15 17:23:06 EDT 2011

Base Snapshot:          hfiler6(0118056348)_SnapProtect_backup_149-base.1

Current Transfer Type:  -

Current Transfer Error: -

Contents:               Replica

Last Transfer Type:     Update

Last Transfer Size:     780 KB

Last Transfer Duration: -

Last Transfer From:     172.19.69.132:/vol/KedarNFSVolume/-

hfiler6*> vol clone create SudhaCVDestClone -b SnapProtect_backup_149  "2011-03-15 21:27:54 _hfiler6_SnapProtect_backup_149.-.SnapProtect_hfiler3_KedarNFSVolume"

hfiler6*> vol clone split start SudhaCVDestClone
Wed Mar 16 10:29:58 EDT [hfiler6: wafl.vv.clone.splitBusySnap:notice]: Volume 'SudhaCVDestClone' has locked snapshots, not splitting.
vol clone split start: The volume has restricted snapshots
hfiler6*> snap list SudhaCVDestClone
Volume SudhaCVDestClone
working...
  %/used       %/total  date          name
----------  ----------  ------------  --------
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Mar 15 17:29  2011-03-15 21:27:54 _hfiler6_SnapProtect_backup_149.-.SnapProtect_hfiler3_KedarNFSVolume
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Mar 15 17:29  hfiler6(0118056348)_SnapProtect_backup_149-base.1 (busy,snapvault)
hfiler6*> snap list SnapProtect_backup_149
Volume SnapProtect_backup_149
working...
  %/used       %/total  date          name
----------  ----------  ------------  --------
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Mar 15 17:29  2011-03-15 21:27:54 _hfiler6_SnapProtect_backup_149.-.SnapProtect_hfiler3_KedarNFSVolume (busy,vclone)
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Mar 15 17:29  hfiler6(0118056348)_SnapProtect_backup_149-base.1 (busy,snapvault,vclone)
  0% ( 0%)    0% ( 0%)  Mar 15 17:28  2011-03-15 21:26:42 _hfiler6_SnapProtect_backup_149.-.SnapProtect_hfiler3_KedarNFSVolume
  4% ( 4%)    0% ( 0%)  Mar 10 11:56  2011-03-10 16:55:10 _hfiler6_SnapProtect_backup_149.-.SnapProtect_hfiler3_KedarNFSVolume
Just to add some more information..base snapshot being busy is true only for volumes which are snapvault destination volumes.
I tried the whole, create clone from snap, split clone for a non-snapvault base volume and  I was able to successfully split it.
thanks
Sudha

scottgelb

You should be able to snapmirror convert the qtree then break the mirror.   https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=1010906

sudha_k_iyer

Thanks.

I do not want to break the mirror.

-Sudha

eric_barlier

Hi,

If you do not want to break the mirror it will never work. Any snapshot is READ ONLY, its in the nature of a snapshot. You cant simply change permissions

on snapshots. Sorry.

What you want might be achievable using flexclones technology. you can run flexclones on the source. If you have got snapmirror you coult use snapmirror,

break the snapmirror for a while and then resync.

hope this helps.

Eric

sudha_k_iyer

"

What you want might be achievable using flexclones technology. you can run flexclones on the source. If you have got snapmirror you coult use snapmirror,

break the snapmirror for a while and then resync."

Not sure I understand  this. I tried creating a flexclone of the destination snapvault volume with the snapvault snap of interest as the base snapshot for the flexclone volume. Are you suggesting that I create a flexclone from the source snapvault volume? but I am interested in a particular destination snapvault volume snap.

Its a snapvault volume I do not have the option to convert it to a qtree snapmirror nor can I break it.

edtoner01

I think it's because the snapshot for the clone is newer than the base snapmirror, it inherits the readonly from that level. Officially the answer is you have to clone based on a snapshot earlier than the base snapmirror/snapvault snapshot.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=2012853&actp=LIST_RECENT&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1306512799043

Ed

Public