ONTAP Discussions

NetApp 2020 volume size.

chopchop16

Hi i am putting together a solution in the UK.

We are a hedge fund and i need file level with one volume of 10Tb.

Can i put a NetApp 2020 with 12x1Tb drives and a DS14 drive shelf and create a volume that spans both of these?

If not what are my options in getting these 10Tb single volume?

4 REPLIES 4

radek_kubka

Hi and welcome to the communities!

Are you running ONTAP 7.3.x? if that's the case then you can have maximum of 19x 1TB data drives per aggregate (http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel73/html/ontap/rnote/rel_notes/reference/r_oc_rn_feat73_aggr-size-max-drives.html)

Is your filer single-controller, not active-active? Then your setup can look as follows:

19 data drives + 4 parity drives + 3 hot-spares = 26 drives

IF you are not planning to use deduplication, then your volume can be as big as the containing aggregate, i.e. ~16TB. Otherwise you are limited to 1TB size for a duplicated volume.

Regards,

Radek

chopchop16

Thank you.

I believe it will be 7.3.1

However i forgot to add that the USEABLE space needs to be 10Tb and not the RAW space.

It will also be dual controller.

So am i right to assume that using the standard RAID DP that the 16Tb RAW you mentioned will be cut down to less than 10Tb.

Am i also right in saying the only way i can achieve a single 10Tb useable volume is by putting in a 2040 and running ONTAP 8.0?

radek_kubka

Hi,

As you are dealing with dual-controller box, you need a different disk allocation:

- Controller A: 17 data drives + 4 parity drives + 2 hot-spares = 23 drives

- Controller B: 2 drives in RAID-4 for root aggregate &root  volume + 1 hot spare = 3 drives (that's bare minimum - you can assign more, but then your aggregate on Controller A will get smaller)

So let's try to estimate how much usable capacity you'll get out of 17x 1TB data drives:

- right-sized 1TB drive => 828GB of space (base 2 calculation, not base 10)

-10% WAFL overhead =>745GB

-5% default aggregate snap reserve (can be disabled though) => 708GB

Finally: 17x708GB =12,036GB

And then you can decide whether to stick or not to a default 20% volume snap reserve.

Regards,
Radek

amiller_1

Just to make sure we understand the scenario...what's driving the 10 TB usable requirement? (some further information there might help with providing suggestions/alternatives)

Also, if you can do just under 10 TB usable, then you could do a single RAID group of 16 disks -- turns out to be right at 9.9 TB.

Public