ONTAP Discussions

NetApp Data ONTAP 8.2 Cluster mode - FQDN & SMI-S

DARRYLGLENN

Hello,

Hope someone can help me out..

I'm using a NetApp Data ONTAP 8.2 in Cluster mode.
Created a vserver, added CIFS and joined to the domain, everything works well.

Installed SMI-S agent on server, connected the Netapp controller through the SMI-S agent to Virtual Machine Manager.
Able to create/delete shares etc, fine so far...

The problem is when adding a share to the controller, Virtual Machine Manager shows the share path as "\\NETBIOSNAME\Sharename" but Virtual Machine Manager would like a FQDN share name like "\\NETBIOSNAME.DOMAIN.LOCAL\Sharename"

DNS in Active directory is fine, also can browse the fileshare using the Netbiosname and FQDN.

When doing a "Get-NcCifsShare", the "servername" variable of the share also shows as Netbiosname and not FQDN.

How can I let the controller always use FQDN when showing information about CIFS and shares?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

DARRYLGLENN

Wow, almost 9000 views, nobody knows?

ASHWINPAWARTESL

9000 views ...

Well I have no idea about SMI-S stuff, but as you mentioned you have created a vserver with cifs, so my question is - Did you provide FQDN for the 'vserver' name, or just netbios name? 

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1287609/html/GUID-A9424109-8286-4053-BBA9-3E542A73080A.html

Thanks,

-Ashwin

DARRYLGLENN

Hi Ashwin,

The vserver in oncommand showing this:

Looks fine to me.

And in Virtual Machine Manager the full SMB path is like

But I want it to be \\SHIFTCIFS.DOMAIN.LOCAL\Share

Thanks.

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Hi Darryl,

From the screenshot, it looks like you have provided DNS suffix name 'domain.local' for Active Directory Domain Name , FQDN should be something like - "servername.domain.local"

Can you edit the setup and make it FQDN. I don't have c-mode setup handy right now, can you give it a try.

Thanks,

-Ashwin

DARRYLGLENN

Hi Ashwin,

No the Active Directory Domain Name is the name of the Active Directory Domain, DOMAIN.LOCAL.
The system is called SHIFTCIFS, so the FQDN shoud be SHIFTCIFS.DOMAIN.LOCAL

Public