ONTAP Discussions

NetApp® Storage System Plug-In 12.1.0.2.1 For OEM 12c Volume space used% alert is incorrect.

reedy1964

NetApp® Storage System Plug-In 12.1.0.2.1 For Oracle® Enterprise Manager 12c Volume space used% alert in Enterprise Manager 12c is not representative of the actual Volume space used and is alerting when there is plenty of space available.

Example, using a 'df' command in Linux shows :
/vol/fin_db_live_prodtemp 20971520 18944768 2026752 91% /mnt/oraprod/prodtemp

But in Enterprise manager 12c it shows the following warning:
Volume [fin_db_live_prodtemp] used percentage is 95. It has crossed either warning (93%) or critical (95%) thresholds.

A re-evaluation of the alert does not clear it, it still thinks that the volume is 95% full, which is wrong. This is happening across 2 other systems as well.

Any advise would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

georgevj

Does the "df" command at the Data ONTAP CLI also show the same values? How much space is used by the snapshots, if any?

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

reedy1964

Georgevj,

Thanks for replying.

The df on the ONTAP CLI is showing the same as in the Linux box, a larger free space % than what the plugin thinks its seeing.

There is minimal snapshot area used that does not impact on this space deviation.

Regards.

reedy1964

Does anyone have any idea's why we are getting these discrepancies?

ChrisYoung

Hi,

is there anyone supporting the OEM Plugin ?  we have another issue with it that we are about to log as such to do with the snapshot reserve monitoring being completly off.

anyone else out there usiing the plugin?

thanks, Chris (@same place of work as Graham reedy1964)

sachin1

Hi ,

Can you please confirm if this volume space usage % is not matching as shown by system manager for given volume?

Volume used % also considers the space occupied by Snapshot also so it might not exactly match with file system used % (df -kh command may have different result).

Please share your comments.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

ChrisYoung

Hi,

Sorry I should have reported back ages ago, I have been in touch via our support person and development helped us work out the descrepency, which is how you describe.

volume used % is the whole volume including how much space is reserverd for snapshot.

I fed back that it would be great to have back filesystem used %  (or even better do everything by GB used as metrics to alert on, % used is far to vague for us idealy)

thanks. Chris

sachin1

Hi Chris,

Thank you for feedback.

Next release 3.1 will be released in max one or 2 weeks. In that release, we are providing option to define alerts for available size in GB.

I hope this will solve your problem.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

ChrisYoung

Hi

thanks for the update - sounds like some of my feedback to our support manager got through! (along with others no doubt)

Also we are led to believe that the next update will also include the fix for

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Related-Plug-ins-Discussions/NetApp-Storage-System-Plug-In-12-1-0-3-For-OEM-12c-Snapshot-reserve-used-GB/td-...

where ontap changed the way the api worked but the OEM plugin was still using the old method.

regards, Chris

sachin1

Hi Chris,

Absolutely correct, we received the feedback from Accounts team to develop same. This feature was developed as a part of customer feedback only.

In 3.1 release of our plug-in, we have worked to fix the Snapshot reserve issue. I hope this should work fine. 

If it doesn't work, please feel free to write here or pass feedback to your account manager. We will include same in our release planning.

Customer feebdack inclusion is our top priority to be discussed in our product release planning.

Please always share your feedback and help us to make our product better !

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari

ChrisYoung

well - I installed the update to the plugin and yes I can confirm that the snap reserve % monitoring is now working as expected. Also that there is now the feature to montor via available GB. Thank you that is great.

the final request I would have would be to able to also have filesystem % used , rather than the current used% which is volume used. Although I do expect we will will switch over to using available GB in most circumstances.

thanks, Chris

sachin1

Hi Chris,

Thank you for feedback.

We will look into file system requirement and explore feasibilty if ZAPIs are exposed for same. If it is feasible from OEM plug-in, we will include this requirement as a part of our next release of OEM plug-in.

Regards,

Sachin Maheshwari 

Public