ONTAP Discussions

Number of files backed up via Snapvault and Protection Manager

berks

Hi All,

Is it possible to determine the number of files that are backed up by a Snapvault update via Protection Manager?  Or what files (the names of the files) have had blocks backed up via the Snapvault update?

Thanks

Jeff

3 REPLIES 3

dmilani

Snapvault does not make this information available, so Protection Manager can not provide it either.

mahala

Hi,

I have one query on top of it because I am bit confused how snapvault in reality transfer the changes at source.

As SnapVault is file level transfer so in that case it suppose to transfer whole file if any single block of that file get modified. But I feel it doesn't work like this and instead transfering whole file it just transfer block that got modified.

So I want to know whether I am right or wrong and also if someone can explain how exactly it works ?

According to me SV checks all changed block belongs to qtree and then transfer across. So if its not the case then can someone explain how it works ?

Thanks & Regards,
Raju

adamfox

It's a little of both.  SnapVault has to walk the qtree in question to determine which files are eligiable to backup.  But once a file is marked for backup, changed blocks are moved, not the whole file.  It's very much like qtree snapmirror in that way.

This is assuming ntap->ntap.  THis may not be the case for OSSV.

Public