ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP 8.1.3 equivalent to 8.2 "lun show -is-clone true"?

scottgelb

A good question that stumped me from a customer.  cDOT 8.2 has the -is-clone parameter on lun show output to determine if a lun is a clone.  8.1 does not have this option (but it does for volume show the same in 8.1 and 8.2).  It looks like this was missing in 8.1, but wanted to see if anyone has any good workarounds to determine if a lun is a clone in 8.1.3P2.  We could use naming conventions with "clone" in the name but that doesn't guarantee it is a clone (or if split it no longer is a clone and may not have been renamed).

5 REPLIES 5

bbjholcomb

Did you try volume clone show?

scottgelb

That is for Flexvol clones but not lun clones.

Sent from my iPhone 5

parisi

What about sis clone? I think lun clones leverage sis now.

scottgelb

I don't think they have dedup enabled on these volumes but will check.

Sent from my iPhone 5

scottgelb

Dedup wasn't enabled on these volumes so lun clone from snapshot.  The NetApp SE found a possible workaround (his post below)...this should work but better fix is to get all on 8.2. 

-----

Unfortunately it appears there is no way to distinguish a Lun and a Lun clone in 8.1. This issue was identified in 8.2 when they implemented auto delete of cloned luns.  To determine if a Lun may have been cloned is to look at space-reserve disabled. Don¹t use the "space-reserve-honored" field because that¹s just checking to make sure if a Lun is space reserved, the volume that contains it is space reserved too.

Public