ONTAP Discussions

ONTAP Egde running on VMware Workstation?

lukasp

HI all,

is it possible to run ONTAP Edge on vmware workstation or von ESXi 5.0 running in vmware workstation?

Thank you,

Lukas

9 REPLIES 9

jgoldsch

Hi Lukas,

No, Data ONTAP Edge is only supported to run on ESXi 4.1u2 and ESXi 5.0.

Thanks.

scottgelb

Anyone tried running ESX in Workstation then ONTAP Edge in ESX all with Workstation over top?  For a lab demo it might make sense... I will try in my Mac on Fusion later..

pspringfield

Hi Scott,

I'd be interested to know how you got on with this. I tried runing ONTAP edge natively on Fusion 5 Pro and it generated a "Line 614: Unsupported element 'Property' " error during a "relaxed check" import. Yes, I can see Edge is only supported on the full blown Hypervisor but thought it might be interesting to try.

Regards,

joecd

You can run the Data ONTAP simulator on Fusion and Workstation.

BUMPSTEADT

Yes this works.

I have run the ONTAP Edge VSA as follows:

Bare Metal - Windows 7 (E3-1245v2, 16GB RAM), Workstation 8

VM1 - ESXi 5 (4 vCPU, 8GB RAM) (Sitting in Workstation)

VSA - OVA deployed with 50GB disk on 5 disk SATA R0 (Ontop of VM1)

VM2 - Windows 2008 R2 (Sitting in Workstation), 10GB iSCSI disk mapped from VSA

This all works, but do not expect much performance from the VSA, especially on writes (I was getting about 8MB/sec write, 50MB/sec read, using 1GB iSCSI)

I'm still testing various deployment options to see if I can get faster throughput

scottgelb

I tried importing the OVA in Fusion on my Mac (latest Fusion, latest OSX) and it starts to run but has unsupported components.

AHNASHAAT

Hello 

I Tried installing the NETAPP OVA on both ESXi 4.1u2 and ESXi 5.0. with no joy .

Always encounter the same error 614 , even when using the OVFTool to convert this OVA file to VMX

Its not working by any means , tried everything

Do you have any idea how to get the NETAPP Edge VM working?

Awaiting reply asap

jgoldsch

Ahmed,

If you are talking about standalone a ESXi server which are not managed by vCenter, the Data ONTAP Edge Eval version will not install on these products - it requires a vCenter server.  Only the full product is supported on the standalone ESXi server.

wesprather

I'm running Workstation 9.0.1 on Windows 7 Professional.

I encounter the same error 614 as above when attempting to open from the File menu in Workstation.

I *guess* I could run it nested under vSphere 5.1/5.0 but I'd rather have some demonstrable performance for demo's/preso's, etc.

Dual SSD's and 32GB was supposed to speed things up, but nesting cancels out the gains a little...  🙂

Any successes out there that anyone can document?

Public