ONTAP Discussions

OSSV realationship

FLEXPODSTORAGE

I had ossv running on a windows 2003 box for a few months, then the site admin decided to uninstall the ossv software. Now after re-installing I cannot get the windows machine to snapvault. When I do a snapvault status on the Windows machine there are no destinations defined. I am new to this product and was wondering if this can be easily repaired. BTW we are using DFM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ASHWINPAWARTESL

I am not an expert on OSSV, You can try these steps and see if it helps your situation.

The Open Systems SnapVault database consists of a set of files that contain information about the Open Systems SnapVault relationship between a primary and a secondary storage system.

OSSV agent database backup file :
The database files for an Open Systems SnapVault relationship on the primary storage system are compressed and backed up as a file named .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP.

If a file named .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP already exists in the directory being backed up, the second and subsequent files to be created follow the naming convention .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP_x, where x is an integer used to uniquely identify each file.

Restore (OSSV agent database ):
You can restore the database file by using the snapvault restore command; however, you must include the file name .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP in the command.

Example:
To restore the database from a secondary storage system called f840 to a directory \temp\database on the primary storage system, enter the following command:

D:\Program Files\netapp\snapvault\bin>snapvault restore - S f840:/vol/vol0/rel5/.OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP D:\temp\database

Resynchronize:
Starting with Open Systems SnapVault 2.2, you can use the snapvault start -r command to resynchronize a relationship without having to reinitialize it.

1  Log in to the secondary storage system.

2  On the console, enter the following command to resynchronize a SnapVault relationship:

filer>snapvault start -r -S prim_host:dirpath /vol/sec_vol/sec_tree
filer>snapvault start -r -S melzhost:C:\melzdir /vol/sv_vol/tree_melz

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMM1278863/html/install/manage3.htm

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ASHWINPAWARTESL

I am not an expert on OSSV, You can try these steps and see if it helps your situation.

The Open Systems SnapVault database consists of a set of files that contain information about the Open Systems SnapVault relationship between a primary and a secondary storage system.

OSSV agent database backup file :
The database files for an Open Systems SnapVault relationship on the primary storage system are compressed and backed up as a file named .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP.

If a file named .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP already exists in the directory being backed up, the second and subsequent files to be created follow the naming convention .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP_x, where x is an integer used to uniquely identify each file.

Restore (OSSV agent database ):
You can restore the database file by using the snapvault restore command; however, you must include the file name .OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP in the command.

Example:
To restore the database from a secondary storage system called f840 to a directory \temp\database on the primary storage system, enter the following command:

D:\Program Files\netapp\snapvault\bin>snapvault restore - S f840:/vol/vol0/rel5/.OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP D:\temp\database

Resynchronize:
Starting with Open Systems SnapVault 2.2, you can use the snapvault start -r command to resynchronize a relationship without having to reinitialize it.

1  Log in to the secondary storage system.

2  On the console, enter the following command to resynchronize a SnapVault relationship:

filer>snapvault start -r -S prim_host:dirpath /vol/sec_vol/sec_tree
filer>snapvault start -r -S melzhost:C:\melzdir /vol/sv_vol/tree_melz

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMM1278863/html/install/manage3.htm

FLEXPODSTORAGE

I tried to perform the steps aboe however when I attempt the restore of the database I get the error:

Have not been supplied a valid absolute restore path

Restore Operation Failed

Error performing restore. Check snapvault log

I do not know what I am typing wrong for the destination. According to the documentation I should be able to supply any path to restore to so I am entering E:\restore by I have tried everything,

Any ideas?

FLEXPODSTORAGE

This did it once I figured out the syntax for the database file restore.

ASHWINPAWARTESL

Good. So it looks like you figured it out. Can you share with us, what did you do exactly to get it working. Thanks.

FLEXPODSTORAGE

So I did exactly what you suggested and where I ran into an issue was command syntax. I had to put in the primary's backup volume and provide a file name as well. So let say I am using snapvault to backup e:\ the syntax I needed to restore the OSSV database was as follows:

C:\Program Files\netapp\snapvault\bin>snapvault restore -S filer:<PATH TO SECONDARY QTREE>/.OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP   E:\temp\.OSSV_DATABASE_BACKUP

After that I ran the resync commands you provided above and everything worked like a charm. BTW for some reason I am unable to assign your intitial response as correct and award you the points.

ASHWINPAWARTESL

That's great. I am glad it worked. Thanks for sharing this information with us.  You can try marking it after some time, it happens some times I guess

JustinM

Hi,

I am completely new to OSSV.  Am I correct in my understanding that I can use OSSV to backup physical servers to a CIFS share for example??

I have a number of physical servers within my environment that need backing up to a disk to disk solution and I thought that OSSV may be a solution for me.

I would appreciate any assistance with this since as i've already mentioned, I am completely new to OSSV.

We have two NetApp Clusters (Clustered OnTAP) 8.2.3 with some SnapVault relationships going between both sites.

I look forward to any responses.

Regards

Justin

timcushman1

unfortunately CDOT does not support OSSV Robot Sad

Public