Subscribe
Accepted Solution

OnCommand Dataset's and datalag

Using Host 1.0, I created a dataset with a protection policy that mirrors to a 2nd array then performs a backup once the mirror is complete.  When I created the dataset, OnCommand automatically created the relationships to make the dataset conformant.

The volume has 3 qtrees inside with a lun used for a vmware datastore inside each qtree.  Using the host plugin, I created the dataset so that the backup will backup each datastore.  Everything works but OnCommand automatically created 4 relationships between the mirror and backup like this :

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/-   ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1  Snapvaulted    32:40:30   Idle

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/q1  ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/q1                              Snapvaulted    11:14:58   Idle

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/q2  ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/q2                              Snapvaulted    11:14:58   Idle

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/q3  ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/q3                              Snapvaulted    11:14:58   Idle

When the backup occurs, all relationships get updated, but the first which is in bold.  As a result, I continually get errors about datalag.  How do I get OnCommand to automatically update that relationship as well?

Thanks

Michael

As an update to this, since the first relationship is not updating, I decided I'd see what would happen if I tore down that relationship.  I did that, but as soon as I kicked off a backup, the dataset went into a comforming state and a job was kicked off to create the relationship agaion.  So, the relationship is there, but doesn't get updated by the backup process.

Thought?

Thanks

Hi Michael,

We update a relationship only if there is a backup version that contains the source qtree. In this case, the  root qtree probably does not have any VMware objects so it is not part of any backupversions. Thats the reason it not getting update.

The second behaviour of conformance is also expected, what i would suggest is relinquish the relationship from the dataset using the following cli.

[root@lnx~]# dfpm dataset relinquish help

NAME

relinquish -- mark a relationship as external

SYNOPSIS

dfpm dataset relinquish { [ <destination-volume-name-or-id> ] |

[ <destination-qtree-name-or-id> ] }

DESCRIPTION

The relationship will be marked as external. Source and

destination objects are left unchanged.

[root@lnx~]#

After that to prevent it from creating relationship go to NMC and ignore the particular source qtree

Regards

adai

Thanks for the reply!  It makes absolute sense what you are saying, but I cannot figure out how to use the relinquish command.  Can you help me out with that.  And once I have done that, set it to ignored, can I then just do a snapvault stop to delete that relationship?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

dfpm dataset relinquish ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1.

And once I have done that, set it to ignored, can I then just do a snapvault stop to delete that relationship?

Yes.

Regards

adai

Re: OnCommand Dataset's and datalag

Ok, I thought it’d be something like that, but when I enter the below command, I get Error: Could not find volume or qtree ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1'. Reason: There is no host, aggregate, volume, qtree, resource group, or dataset named ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1.

Thanks

Hi,

Any further thoughts on this by chance?  I've been playing with the dfpm dataset relinquish command and everything I do yields the same error stating that there is no host, aggregate, volume, .....

Thanks for the help.

Michael

HI,

To relinquish a relationship you can give the destination volume name or its id (same wrt qtree).

For example:

I have the following relationship as seen in filer (snapmirror status):

sin.rtp.netapp.com:JPMC_DS03                                               seawasp:JPMC_DS03_mirror_sin_JPMC_DS03                    Snapmirrored   -22:12:55  Idle

suggesting that the destination volume should be JPMC_DS03_mirror_sin_JPMC_DS03.

Now from dfm:

[root@grafspree ~]# dfm volume list | grep JPMC_DS03_mirror_sin_JPMC_DS03

10565 seawasp:/JPMC_DS03_mirror_sin_JPMC_DS03 Flexible     32_bit     No

Relinquishing the relationship:

[root@grafspree ~]# dfpm dataset relinquish 10565

Relinquished relationship (10568) with destination JPMC_DS03_mirror_sin_JPMC_DS03 (10565).

So please check whether ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1 is getting listed in dfm by using dfm volume list command (or dfm qtree list command).

If it is getting listed, Also try to relinquish the relationship using volume id as shown above.

Thanks,

Arun.

Thanks for the reply. So, as you have noted, this is the relationship that is causing me grief:

ATLFAS01.acuitylightinggroup.com:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1/- ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1 Snapvaulted 02:51:40 Idle

My mgmt. server is on Windows, but I have installed some Linux tools so that when I do this command: dfm volume list |grep -i vmds_test

I get this back:

23729 ATLFAS01:/VMDS_TEST1_mirror_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1 Flexible 64_bit No

23766 ATLFAS02:/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1 Flexible 64_bit No

23632 CDCFAS01:/vmds_test1 Flexible 64_bit No

As you have said, I want to relinquish the qtree so I would assume I need to actually see this:

ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1

If I try this exact command:

dfpm dataset relinquish ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1

then, I receive this:

Error: Could not find volume or qtree 'ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1'. Reason: There is no host, aggregate, volume, qtree, resource group, or dataset named ATLFAS02:/vol/VMDS_TEST1_backup_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1_1/VMDS_TEST1_CDCFAS01_vmds_test1.

If instead I do this: dfpm dataset relinquish 23766 (where 23766 is from the dfm volume list from above)

Then I at least see this error:

Error: Could not find relationship information: Multiple managed relationships

with destination '23766' found.

Is there a method to pull back the ID of this particular qtree that I want to relinquish? I have not been able to figure that part out yet.

Thanks for the help.

Michael

OK, I feel dumb now.  I was just able to relinquish the relationship.  I had seen the dfm volume list command and played with it earlier today thinking perhaps I could use the ID to relinquish.  I did not see the dfm qtree list command untill just now.  I had somehow overlooked it. 

So, I did dfm qtree list |grep -i vmds_test

This command did pull back the qtree I needed and the ID.  Using the ID, I have relinquished the relationship successfully.  Let me see if I can finish up the rest of what I need now.

Whew .... what a pain.  Thanks for your help.

So, the question I still have though is why did the OnCommand Host automatically create the relationship if I don't need it.  Is there a way to fix that?  I'll be setting up additional datasets and now that I think i have all working, it should be fine .... but I'd rather not have to mess the relinquish, ignore, etc if I don't have to.

Thanks

Michael