ONTAP Discussions

Ontap 8.1 - 16TB logical volume size limit is removed?

irakli_natsvlishvili

I found following informationon http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3958.pdf

Page7 :

The NetApp deduplicationtechnology allows duplicate 4KB blocks anywhere in the flexible volume to bedeleted, as described in the following sections. The maximum sharing for a block is 32,767. This means, for example,that if there are 64,000 duplicate blocks, deduplication would reduce that toonly 2 blocks.

Page 28 :

10.2 MAXIMUM LOGICAL DATASIZE LIMIT

The maximum logical data sizelimit for post-process compression and deduplication is equal to the maximumvolume size on the storage system regardless of the size of the volume created.

Do I understand correctlythat logical volume size limitations have being removed in 8.1?

6 REPLIES 6

scottgelb

Correct.. After upgrading to 8.1RC1 asis is up to the max size of the volume allowed for the platform you can dedup now without the 16TB limit.

irakli_natsvlishvili

Wo-hoo. That's what I wanted, it is the game changer for my datacenter. Instead of 25 volumes now I can have only two.

scottgelb

Are you planning on running 8.1 in production before it goes GA?  I would prefer most of my customers wait (exceptions are if they must have a feature... encryption is one where it fixes some key manager issues for example).

evanh

I would agree with Scott. I prefer to wait until GA before considering deployment to prod. New RC features can be very exciting to deploy (as in showing value), but not worth the risk to uptime/SLAs/etc..

Evan

aborzenkov

Was not release model changed so that today RC correspond to earlier GA and today GA correspond to earlier GD? From  "PB DataONTAP Release Model":

RC releases are ready for installation on production systems. The GA designation simply implies that all NetApp specific Data ONTAP certifications wit...

irakli_natsvlishvili

No decisions yet, really depends when GA arrives and what status of RC implies to - based on my experience in software industry RC usually means that most (critical) bugs are fixed and some minor ones might present but they do not affect core fuctionality.

If it is Netapp's practice to release code under RC label which might cause data corruption I would obviously wait.

Public