ONTAP Discussions

Ontap Upgrade

NAYABSK

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my Ontap , My current version is 8.0.1 RC3 . Now what will be the latest version i can upgrade and how to check if my DiskShlef firmware and other Firmwares support this version or Independently i can upgrade Ontap Alone ??? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NAYABSK

I am done with the upgrade

I have compared and downloaded from support.netapp.com --> downloads --> Disk Drive & Firmware Matrix

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

gokhancakir

Hi Nayab,

you can upgrade your dataontap version easly. each new firmware coming with new disk, shelf firmware. after upgrade completed successfully, disk and shelf firmware starting in background.

The important thing is you must read new ontap version description page. there are many alerts, pre requirement info at this page.  You can find this page when you download new firmware from download.netapp.com.

Ontap 8.2 has a new improvements and new licensing model. may be you want to upgrade latest version of ontap 8.1.X . you can find details information on the new firmware description page or admin guide etc.

NAYABSK

Hi,

I have checked them already latest is 8.2RC1 but how to check if my current Shelf firmware and RLM Firmware is compatible with the Ontap Version?

Thanks,

Nayab

HARI_KRISHNA981

Hi Nayab,

You can refer hardware universe for the compatibility information

http://support.netapp.com/knowledge/docs/hardware/NetApp/syscfg/

Regards,

Hari.

NAYABSK

I am done with the upgrade

I have compared and downloaded from support.netapp.com --> downloads --> Disk Drive & Firmware Matrix

VAIBHAV_RBS

Hello,

Sorry for posting in old thread. But I have two questions which really kept me unrest. Appreciate if you can answer.

1. Will new Ontap will not include all hardware firmware version? Why one should be concerned about it? Or is it that a minimum firmware version should already be installed?
  2. If I terminate cifs sessions, do I manually restart CIFS service post Ontap reboot?

Thanks,

NAYABSK

Hi ,

Let me know the version you are planning to upgrade because as per Netapp Upgrade guide it is stated FIRMWARE PACKAGES will be included in the ontap software itself so when you upgrade Ontap your disk and disk shelf firmware will be updated automatically for this you make sure that the below option is set to ON 

options raid.background_disk_fw_update.enable

No need to start CIFS manually ..... but when you try to giveback it may fail sometimes due to active cifs sessions , Do not use -F option when a giveback or takeover is not happening always refer to your /etc/messages and see what is the error you are getting in my case giveback didnot happened due to active CIFS sessions for this you can go to Oncommand System manager and choose to stop the service and try givebackup once giveback is successful don't forget to start the CIFS service back.............

Public