ONTAP Discussions

Pool1 empty when creating a mirror ?

YAMAKASI_D

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a SyncMirror_Local between two plexes on a setup like here:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/116817#116817

The strange thing is that when I want to select my drives manually the pool1 is always empty and all disks are still in pool0, I have the license for this enabled.

What could go wrong here ?

Thanks,

Matt

8 REPLIES 8

radek_kubka

Did you create pool1 & assign disk to it?

YAMAKASI_D

The Ontap should do that automaticly when the license for SyncMirror is installed, so I guess this doesn't work because the 2 shelfs per filer are on the same loop like here:

http://blog.hernanjlarrea.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/image7.png

I get the feeling that it will be a Plex mirror with a "backup"-filer instead of the above with a cluster_remote.

In short words, it seems that my cabeling is wrong for a Plex setup as I get this when I want to add a disk that is not added to an aggregate:

disk assign: disk 0a.25 cannot be assigned to pool 1. Other disks on the loop are assigned to pool 0.

aborzenkov

You need manually assign drives to the correct pool.

YAMAKASI_D

Than I get this:

disk assign: disk 0a.25 cannot be assigned to pool 1. Other disks on the loop are assigned to pool 0.

Should each shelf not be on it's own FC in that case ?

aborzenkov

Yes, best practice is to assign all disks in a stack to the same pool. But it is possible to mix them as we'll. You may need to use force option or do it from maintenance mode.

YAMAKASI_D

You mean the following (which I got from a blog) ?

Also I need to mention hardware and software disk ownership. In older system ownership was defined by cable connections. Filer which had connection to shelf A-In port owned all disks in this shelf or stack if there were other shelves daisy chained to channel A. Our FAS3020 for instance already supports software ownership where you can assign any disk to any filer in cluster. It means that it doesn’t matter now which port you use for connection – A-In or B-In. You can reassign disks during configuration.

I get the feeling that I need more than 4 FC ports per Filer with 2 FC shelfs and 1 Sata shelf per Filer.

In the setup above, 4 is no problem as I have one loop per filer for FC and one loop per filer for Sata as I shouldn't mix them.

YAMAKASI_D

In the setup how this is like above in the picture I have done the following:

Filer 01 is owner of all disks, the issue is that Ontap is also on the First Disk shelf of the Filer 02 that means that when I own the disks in the loop of Filer 02 to Filer 01 and I want to add these new owned disks to Pool 1 it's not possible because it complains that there are disks on that loop that are still in Pool 0, indeed, it are the OS/Ontap disks that are still owned by Filer 02 and it has these 3 disks in the Pool 0 on that same Loop.

I'm confused as I think I need a Metro cluster function instead of SyncMirror in this connected way.

Advice is welcome!

YAMAKASI_D

I fixed this by conneting a single path MetroCluster, works great!

Public