ONTAP Discussions

Powershell Add-NcCifsServer keeps failing - Cannot find an appropriate domain controller

wafl_scan

I'm struggling to understand why I can't create a new CIFS server from Powershell when I can do it from the CLI with the all the same settings no problem.  Since I can do it just fine from the CLI I would assume all the DNS and networking settings are correct.  Also, I've verfied I'm not making any typos when typing the userid and password for the active directory domain.  I even tried creating the computer object in AD before running Add-NcCifsServer but it didn't help.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Get-NcVserver $DestinationSVM | Add-NcCifsServer -Name $NewCIFSServerName.ToUpper() -Domain <my FQDN> -AdminUsername $DomainUser -AdminPassword $DomainPass

Add-NcCifsServer : Failed to create the Active Directory machine account "DRPTEST_VFILER". Reason: SecD Error: Cannot find an appropriate domain controller Details:
Error: Machine account creation procedure failed [ 0 ms] Trying to create machine account 'DRPTEST_VFILER' in domain '<my FQDN>' for
Vserver 'eau-test_vfilerrs' [ 4] Successfully connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:389 using TCP [ 107] Successfully connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:389 using
TCP [ 216] Successfully connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:389 using TCP [ 320] Successfully connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:389 using TCP [ 436] No servers found in
DNS lookup for _ldap._tcp.EauClaire._sites.<my FQDN>. [ 448] No servers found in DNS lookup for
_ldap._tcp.<my FQDN>. [ 448] No servers available for MS_LDAP_AD, vserver: 21, domain: <my FQDN>. [ 448] Cannot find any
domain controllers; verify the domain name and the node's DNS configuration **[ 448] FAILURE: Failed to find a domain controller [ 448] Uncaptured
failure while creating server account .
At line:1 char:37
+ ... nationSVM | Add-NcCifsServer -Name $NewCIFSServerName.ToUpper() -Doma ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (naeau1:NcController) [Add-NcCifsServer], EAPIERROR
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ApiException,DataONTAP.C.PowerShell.SDK.Cmdlets.Cifs.AddNcCifsServer

3 REPLIES 3

DaemonFF

Hello!

Plaese run 'DCDIAG /testDNS' utility on Your nearest domain controller and check its output for any issue.

It seems to me You have some problems with Your AD.

wafl_scan

Thanks for the suggestion.  Ran dcdiag /test:dns and everything passed.  Everything works fine from the NetApp CLI or with AD in general.  It seems that when the Powershell toolkit issues its calls to Active Directory those calls don't seem to be able to get all the information needed.  I'm not sure what would be different from doing the same thing in Powershell versus the CLI but there seems to be something different.  Thank you.

mbeattie

Hi,

Did you configure and enable DNS on the vserver before performing a cifs setup? EG:

PS C:\> get-help New-NcNetDns

NAME
    New-NcNetDns

SYNOPSIS
    Creates DNS configuration for a vserver.

SYNTAX
    New-NcNetDns [-Domains] <String[]> [[-NameServers] <String[]>] [-State <String>] [-TimeoutSeconds <Int32>] [-Attempts <Int32>] [-IsTldQueryEnabled [<Boolean>]]
    [-IsSourceAddressMatchRequired [<Boolean>]] [-IsPacketQueryMatchRequired [<Boolean>]] [-VserverContext <String>] [-Controller <NcController[]>]
    [-PipelineVariable <String>] [-ZapiRetryCount <Int32>] [<CommonParameters>]

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public