Subscribe
Accepted Solution

Problem after ontap upgrade 7.32 - 7.351

Hi All,

Was helping a customer with a ontap upgrade.

The installation went fine, no errors.  Before the reboot,disk firmware etc. was upgraded.

I rebooted the system, waited 10 minutes but the system did´nt come back up.

Went down to the serverroom, connected thru serial and the system had stoped at the boot menu:

(1)    Normal boot.

(2)    Boot without /etc/rc.

(3)    Change password.

(4)    Initialize all disks.

No errros before that what i could see. i choosed nr:1 and the system booted fine.

So i run version:

NetApp   Release 7.3.2: Thu Oct 15 04:17:39 PDT 2009

Still the old version?

If i run version -b:

1:/x86_elf/kernel/primary.krn:   OS 7.3.5.1

Rebooted the filer again. Same problem. The boot menu first, then if choosing number one, the old version.

Any one got a clue?

Re: Problem after ontap upgrade 7.32 - 7.351

Hi,

I am planning this same upgrade. Did you get a resolution to your problem, or anything I need to observe to avoid the same issue?

Thanks,

Rich.

Hi,

No resolution, have opened a case with netapp but nothing yet...

I better make sure the RLM interface is up then as I'm doing mine remotley!! I'll let you know if it works or ends up the same.

Cheers.

The sugestion from netapp was to  run the software download command again.

I´ll going to try that in a couple of days.

Good luck!

After the download command completed and upon reboot did you run "update_flash" from the Loader prompt?

Link to 7.3.5.1 upgrade guide. If step 11 is not executed the kernel will not be upgraded and the version command will always display the previous version.

https://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel7351/html/ontap/upgrade/frameset.html

I had this problem before. Just do the update again. Via RLM/CONSOLE that way you can observe the boot process  Kind regards,  Michel van Kessel

has to be an enviroment option like autoboot... I would push the latest controller/diags (extract tar from now site, priv set advanced ; download -d, halt, update-flash, set-defaults, bye)... set-defaults should fix a change in the boot option that might be causing this...run by support too.  If firmware/diags are all up to date, just do the set-defaults and bye to change the variables.

set-defaults might reset your onboard target san ports to initiator, be careful.

Without fcadmin config -t initiator, I have never seen that happen.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless