ONTAP Discussions

Protection Policy to Snapmirror Primary to Secondary to Terciary

chadmaupin

Hello,

Is it possible to setup a protection Manager job that can SnapMirror data from one controller to another controller and then to a third controller?  I know you can do a snapmirror from primary to seconary and then do a snapvault backup from secondary to terciary but I am wanting that snapvault backup to just be a snapmirror for additional DR.

The basic setup we have is a controller in Europe which does a snapmirror of its data to a controller here in US.  I then want to mirror the data on the US controller to another controller here in he US.  I know there is also a snapmirror job that mirrors to two destinations but because of the physical location of the controllers, we do not have the bandwidth to mirror all the data multiple times from overseas.

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kjag

Hi,

I hope using the protection policy “Chain of two mirrors” should satisfy your requirement.

# dfpm policy list "Chain of two mirrors"

Id   Name                                                    Policy Type     Description

---- ------------------------------------------------------- --------------- ----------------------------

73 Chain of two mirrors                                    Data Protection Local backups on primary, then mirror primary to secondary, then mirror secondary to tertiary

[root@mei-rhel5u6x32-179-96 ~]#

-KJag

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kjag

Hi,

I hope using the protection policy “Chain of two mirrors” should satisfy your requirement.

# dfpm policy list "Chain of two mirrors"

Id   Name                                                    Policy Type     Description

---- ------------------------------------------------------- --------------- ----------------------------

73 Chain of two mirrors                                    Data Protection Local backups on primary, then mirror primary to secondary, then mirror secondary to tertiary

[root@mei-rhel5u6x32-179-96 ~]#

-KJag

chadmaupin

Wow, can't believe I missed that one.  Thanks a ton!

chadmaupin

Ok, next question..  I am using the Chain of Two mirrors Protection Policy and that works great.  Only issue I now have is I'm getting a Lag error on the local backups.  Since this is just a snapmirror job, I'm not sure why it cares about local backup lag, but it does.  I've tried setting the Error threshold to a shorter time than the warning threshold, which is what it says to do to suppress the error messages, but this does not work. 

Any ideas on how to get rid of these Lag errors on the local backups?

thanks,

Chad

chadmaupin

Here is a screen shot of the Lag Error message.  I know its not a snapshot capacity issue on the volume though.

ChrisHolloway

PM is looking for a snap it created on the primary volume and doesn't find one, hence the error.  I've had it a number of times before, and what I usually do to get rid of it is to add in a local snapshot schedule just to take one snap per day, and keep it for a day.  This means PM has its own snap to use to monitor the source and should get rid of this error.

adaikkap

As Chris said, either add a local backup schedule to your policy or disabling the lag for the root node by changing the following setting in the policy.

Note:This can only be done using cli.

[root@ ~]# dfpm  policy node set

Valid options are

nodeName                  Node Name

hourlyRetentionCount      Hourly Retention Count

hourlyRetentionDuration   Hourly Retention Duration

dailyRetentionCount       Daily Retention Count

dailyRetentionDuration    Daily Retention Duration

weeklyRetentionCount      Weekly Retention Count

weeklyRetentionDuration   Weekly Retention Duration

monthlyRetentionCount     Monthly Retention Count

monthlyRetentionDuration  Monthly Retention Duration

backupScriptPath          Backup Script Path

backupScriptRunAs         Backup Script Run As

failoverScriptPath        Failover Script Path

failoverScriptRunAs       Failover Script Run As

snapshotScheduleId        Snapshot Schedule Id

snapshotScheduleName      Snapshot Schedule Name

lagWarningEnabled         Warning Lag Enabled

lagWarningThreshold       Warning Lag Threshold

lagErrorEnabled           Error Lag Enabled

lagErrorThreshold         Error Lag Threshold

[root@~]#

Regards

adai

kjag

Could you please paste the output of "dfpm policy node get" for the policy attached to the dataset ?

-KJag

chadmaupin

C:\Documents and Settings\applied>dfpm policy node get 4598

Node Id:                    1

Node Name:                  controller1

Hourly Retention Count:     2

Hourly Retention Duration:  0

Daily Retention Count:      2

Daily Retention Duration:   0

Weekly Retention Count:     1

Weekly Retention Duration:  0

Monthly Retention Count:    0

Monthly Retention Duration: 0

Backup Script Path:

Backup Script Run As:

Failover Script Path:

Failover Script Run As:

Snapshot Schedule Id:       0

Snapshot Schedule Name:

Warning Lag Enabled:        Yes

Warning Lag Threshold:      1209600

Error Lag Enabled:          Yes

Error Lag Threshold:        604800

Node Id:                    2

Node Name:                  controller2

Node Id:                    3

Node Name:                  controller3

kjag

As you dont have any schedule attached to the Primary node disabled the below as mentioned by Adai.

dfpm policy node set <Policy Name or Id> 1 lagWarningEnabled=No

dfpm policy node set <Policy Name or Id> 1 lagErrorEnabled=No

-KJag       

chadmaupin

Thanks all for the help.  I went ahead and did the dfpm policy node set like you both mentioned and this appears to be working.  I will let you know if it doesn't for some reason.

chad

Public