ONTAP Discussions

Q: Is it safe to delete the default /vol/vfiler_volume/home directory?

andreas_falk

Hi,

We are trying to build a functional way of using qtrees and quotas.
And one of the quotas should be in the home qtree.
But beq. the default share/directory /vol/vfiler_volume/home is there I can't create the qtree.

I've searched high and low but haven't found anything about that.
Is it safe to delete the ./home and create a qtree there instead?

--

Regards Falk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

You can delete the home directory... it is the same concept as vfiler0 (physical controller) where both /etc and /home are written to the root volume.  So, you could delete /home and recreate as a qtree.  However, I wouldn't put any user data in the root volume... typically we create a very small volume for vfiler root then additional volumes for data... unless you are running cifs auditing or other vfiler specific logging (all controller logging goes to vfiler0 except for vfiler specific like auditing), I recommend you keep a small root volume and add additional flexvols with qtrees in them for the quotas.

I often delete the /home on root volumes (vfiler0 and vfilers) just to have only /etc in the volume so nothing else can fill up root...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

scottgelb

You can delete the home directory... it is the same concept as vfiler0 (physical controller) where both /etc and /home are written to the root volume.  So, you could delete /home and recreate as a qtree.  However, I wouldn't put any user data in the root volume... typically we create a very small volume for vfiler root then additional volumes for data... unless you are running cifs auditing or other vfiler specific logging (all controller logging goes to vfiler0 except for vfiler specific like auditing), I recommend you keep a small root volume and add additional flexvols with qtrees in them for the quotas.

I often delete the /home on root volumes (vfiler0 and vfilers) just to have only /etc in the volume so nothing else can fill up root...

andreas_falk

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answer!
I will discuss the volume sizes and placement in root with out consult on Monday.

--

Regards Falk
Sweden

Public