ONTAP Discussions

RAID size for adding 56 133Gb FC Disks

SETH_DICKERSON

Hi,

I am needing some help with figuring out what the optimal RAID size would be for adding 56 133Gb FC disks to my current system. I am using an FAS3040 with Data OnTap vs. 7.3.4.  I will be configuring for RAID DP and would like to only allot 4 disks for parity out of the 56 total disks.  All help is greatly appreciated.

Seth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SETH_DICKERSON

Thanks Scott!

My only issue is that these disks went out of warranty earlier this year.  My boss wants me to continue to use them but make sure I have up to date Full and Incremental backups of the data in the event of loss.  Which is why I was thinking of having 4 parity disks.  Knowing now that  there is no warranty would you still think 3 raid groups of 18 is fine?

Thanks,

Seth

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

With 32-bit aggregates, you can have 141 total disks (data+parity) and a max of 123 data disks with 144GB drives.  With 56 disks, I would consider 2 spares with 54 disks and go with 3 raid groups of 18   [3*(16D+2P)]... that keeps raid groups the same size for better performance and meets the requirements for rapid raid recovery with 2 spares which is plenty for 56 drives as long as you have a support contract or extra disks to swap out when they fail.

If you want only 2 raid groups (4 parity drives) you could go with 2 raid groups of 27 [2*(25D+2P)] but I wouldn't go with raid groups that big (the max is 28 with RAID_DP but odds of failure, rebuild time, etc. not a great idea to go that big).

SETH_DICKERSON

Thanks Scott!

My only issue is that these disks went out of warranty earlier this year.  My boss wants me to continue to use them but make sure I have up to date Full and Incremental backups of the data in the event of loss.  Which is why I was thinking of having 4 parity disks.  Knowing now that  there is no warranty would you still think 3 raid groups of 18 is fine?

Thanks,

Seth

scottgelb

3 RAID groups is safer than 2 especially without warranty.. I would source pre-owned disks to keep shelf spares too.

Public