ONTAP Discussions

Remove Orphaned / Old Input Output relationships

ORRCAPITA

Hi, I am wondering how I remove input/output relationships from OnCommand?

If I navigate to Hosts > Storage Systems > Filer3 > Input Relationships

I see many old relationships which are no longer valid

Additionally, I have external relationships which are showing up in the dashboard etc which are no longer valid. SnapMirror.cfg does not contain the relationship, I dont know why OnCommand still thinks it should exist

7 REPLIES 7

ORRCAPITA

also, how do I refresh the host information?

crocker

is this one that your team handles or should the question be asked in the NetApp Support Community?

amirm

Hi,

If you removed the unwanted snapmirror relationship entries from /etc/snapmirror.conf then in you can remove/release the snapmirror relationship by:

• Source system—Use the snapmirror release command. Releasing a source from a destination volume or qtree allows the source to delete its base Snapshot copy for the SnapMirror relationship.
  • Destination system—Use the snapmirror break command. After breaking the relationship, you need to scrub the destination with additional steps. Unless these extra steps are taken, the Snapshot copies associated with the broken relationship remain stored on the destination system, and a snapmirror status command will continue to list the former destination object as a current destination object.

For the detailed steps on how to do it please refer to:

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMM1278318/html/onlinebk/protecting/task/t_oc_prot_sm-release-partners-from-relationship.html

After successfully completing these steps run "dfm host discover <controller_id>" on the OnCommand server to refresh the data from both source and destinations controllers if you don't want to wait for the default refresh interval of 15 minutes.

Regards,

-Amir

amirm

Hi,

Additionally at the DFM end you will have to break & delete those unwanted snapmirror relationships using DFM CLI:

1. List the relationships & note the IDs of the ones you want to delete:

[root@oncommand ~]# dfdrm mirror list

2. Break the snapmirror relationships. Run following command for each of the relationship ID you noted in step #1:

[root@oncommand ~]# dfdrm mirror break  <reln_id>

See the status of the job using:

[root@oncommand ~]# dfdrm jobs list

3. Once relationship break operation is successful delete those relationships one by one. Run following command for each of the relationship ID you noted in step #1:

[root@oncommand ~]# dfdrm mirror delete <reln_id>

This should remove the snapmirror relationships from DFM DB and eventually from "Hosts > Storage Systems > Filer3 > Input Relationships" page on NMC.

Regards,

-Amir

rsingh28

I never managed snapmirror relations through DFM. However i've faced similar issuew wherein even after deleting snapmirror relationship and cleaning the snapmirror.conf file, snapmirror status still shows the snapmirror relations. Check the snapmirror volumes is they contain any snapshot related to snapmirror. If there is delete those snapshots, filer will not show the snapmirror relationship in snapmirror status output.

Hope it helps.

amirm

Hi,

Precisely, the steps #3 & #4 of the procedure given on the link mentioned by me in first reply, it mentions:

• Find the relevant snapshots copy base name (snapmirror status -l <dst vol/qtree>) and
  • delete these copies (snap delete dest_vol snapshot_basename).

Regards,

-Amir

ORRCAPITA

I actually managed to get this resolved because I stumbled accross another post where a user said it takes 4 seperate refresh jobs for the data to be cleansed properly. After the 4th or 5th refresh the external relationships dissapeared. The response from Amirm would have solved this quicker for me so thanks for your reply

edit - how do I mark this post as answered?

Public