ONTAP Discussions

Removed share from web interface, but space not recovered

PARANESUS

Greetings,

NetApp S550

I am not a NetApp expert at all, please bear with me.

In an effort to reclaim space, specifically from static download/install files from being snapshotted, I copied all data from the Windows shares named Software.

I then right clicked the share and clicked Remove. It confirmed I wanted to delete the share.

No space seems to have been recovered. I was expected between 140GB to 750GB to be freed by this, 140GB being the base, and the rest potential from the snapshot deletion.

Did this data not delete, and it just removed the pointers via the share, or?

Assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~N~

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jakob_bena

hi,

you have only stop the sharing on this volumen. if you want to delete the files, you can destroy the volumen. this only if there is no other data inside that you need....

else you have to share this volumen again, and delete your software folder.

regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jakob_bena

hi,

you have only stop the sharing on this volumen. if you want to delete the files, you can destroy the volumen. this only if there is no other data inside that you need....

else you have to share this volumen again, and delete your software folder.

regards

PARANESUS

Greetings Jakob,

Thank you for confirming, I found where I needed to look in order to accomplish this based on your prompt.

I needed to click Add Shares to the "shares" share listed under Windows Shares, which then showed me the root folders. I am deleting it now.

I wonder if I would benefit from a newer StoreVault software. Mine is from 2006, and the firmware running on the Netapp is from 2008. Have the newer versions become more intuitive?

Thanks,

~Nathan~

jakob_bena

there i can not help you out. we only use netapp filer's with ontap software. i have no idea how the new versions of storevault works 🙂

regards

Public