ONTAP Discussions

Removing Secondary Interconnect PCIe

victorcharlesedwards

Besides shutting down the filers and physically moving the fiber cable, what other steps need to be taken to safely move our failover loop from slot 2 port 4 into slot 1 port 3?

We have two filers (FilerA and FilerB) running DOT 8.0.2 7-Mode as a cluster.  Each filer manages one loop, as well as the failover loop for the other filer's shelves.  We need to free up slot 2 on both filers in order to install an external SAS adapter.

While my gut tells me I can simply shutdown both filers and move the fiber cable from slot 2 port 4 into slot 1 port 3, I wanted to verify with the community if this is the best approach.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

With the systems down or in maintenance mode there is no issue changing the source hba port (but can't be done with the system up - see similar discussion a day or two ago on here).  ONTAP will find the disks on any path.  I would go to maintenance mode though and confirm all disks with disk show, storage show -p and aggr status to make sure all disks are available over all paths and all aggrs show up after the change.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

scottgelb

With the systems down or in maintenance mode there is no issue changing the source hba port (but can't be done with the system up - see similar discussion a day or two ago on here).  ONTAP will find the disks on any path.  I would go to maintenance mode though and confirm all disks with disk show, storage show -p and aggr status to make sure all disks are available over all paths and all aggrs show up after the change.

victorcharlesedwards

Thanks Scott!  Would this be doable in failover?  For example if I:

1. Failover FilerA to FilerB
  2. Power-off FilerA
  3. Move Cable Over on FilerA
  4. Power-on FilerA
  5. Run (via maintenance mode) disk show / storage show -p / aggr status
  6. Repeat for FilerB

scottgelb

Looks good.. Or move cables in maint mode too.. Then cf giveback and repeat. It would be worth opening a case just to have one proactive in case of any issue then close after.

Typos Sent on Blackberry Wireless

aborzenkov

There was discussion on toasters about shelf unplug and the answer (from NetApp employee) was - the only safe way is with both heads down. It may appear to work with takeover/giveback but you are still risking panic after days or weeks.

Now, moving shelf connection to another adapter basically means "unplugging" all shelves on old one. So I am not sure. I would simply switch off to be on safe side.

scottgelb

Support approved takeover/giveback for us…as long as the node changing the source port is the one taken over. It is a CP issue with NVRAM flush and the diskid…in takeover the down node doesn’t have the issue.

Public