ONTAP Discussions

Restoration of Snapshot deleted by mistake

mayumiasakawa

Snapshost where very important data were included in has been deleted by mistake.

Will not there be the method of the salvage?

Isn't there any method of analyzing the block information which deleted snapshot had?

On the other hand, if there is information of the company etc. which provide service of a salvage, please let me know.

3 REPLIES 3

aborzenkov

If aggregate snapshots are enabled, it may be possible to recover data from them. Do not forget that aggregate snapshots are autodeleted when space is low, so if possible stop any activity on this filer to avoid it.

mayumiasakawa

Thank you for your infomation.

I confirmed aggregate snapshots,however did not set it.I will review setting in future.

DOUGLASSIGGINS

One other option is you may be able to contract netapp to roll back to a consistency point using a specific kernel used for recovering data. I have been in a data loss situation and they have some fantastic tools to recover data. If you have the money, and need to go that route you should stop now (offline the head/aggregate) and contact support/sales (depending on the situation). The issue becomes as you continue writes to that aggregate/flexvol you are overwriting the old data.

Good luck.

Public