ONTAP Discussions

Restoring individual files/folders from an NDMP backup in Backup Exec 2010R2

SLIPGATE_UK

I'm having a strange problem where when I select items for restore and go through the restore wizard (or manual job), it all looks like it's running happily, gets to 100% successful and finishes but no files are actually restored. I know the stats that Bexec show are bogus, but nothing re-appears on the filer. I've tried the wizard where it restores the file to where it came from, manual job where I can re-direct, trying each of the overwrite options, but I still see nothing new.

I would use the snapshot facility, but it only goes back two days - I've inherited this system and my Netapp knowledge is a little low!

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

rmharwood

Are you restoring the files back to the original volume? If not, it's likely you're not giving a valid path for the restore and your files are ending up in the root volume (usually named "vol0"). Check that your restore path begins with "/vol/volname" where volname is the name of an existing volume. If you have CIFS access to your root volume you can usually access its contents via \\filername\c$

HTH,

Richard

SLIPGATE_UK

Yep, it's pointing at /vol/volname - I had a little look around the root volume but nothing there. I basically let Bexec restore back to where the file came from, then forced a redirect to somewhere else on the same volume, but still nothing shows up.

rmharwood

I am not sure in that case. We use NetBackup here and it works fine with NDMP backups and restores. Does the filer log anything? If not, you could always try to enable NDMP debugging ("ndmpd debug 70") and take a look in the /etc/log/ndmpdlog files in vol0 after you try to run the restore again.

SLIPGATE_UK

Curious. I just tried again and it worked! I did the redirect thing and the files just popped up. Oh well, all's well that ends well!

Public