ONTAP Discussions

SME restore of archived snapshot

moncsko

Hi All,

I'm having some challenges with restoring an archived snapshot in SME 6.0 on Exchange 2010. My main question is where does the remote snapshot get mounted to extract the data? If the production Exchange server only has FCP/iSCSI connectivity to the local storage system, it seems impossible to me for an archived restore from the remote storage system to be possible. So there is obviously something I am missing, but I've read through the steps in the SME 6.0 IAG and can't find any helpful information.

Thanks.

Brian Moncsko

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vloiseau

To restore from a Snapvault you must have either :

- a SAN connection (IP/FCP) to the secondary storage from the Exchange Server you want to restore

- a "remote verification server" that has SAN connection + check that the Exchange Server does not have access to the secondary storage.

This is the only way to have your log files copied back to the production server.

Valery.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sflynn

Hi Brian,

I'm looking into this right now.  I want to look something up first before I reply back.

Thanks,

Shannon

sflynn

Hi Brian,

Quick question, what's archiving the snapshot copy?  Are you just snapmirroring them off to a remote system?

moncsko

Thanks for the reply.

I've integrated it into Protection Manager so that SME kicks off a SnapVault update to secondary storage after the backup.

mathieu_dewavrin

IIRC you need to skip the verification phase before doing the restore of the archived (SnapVault) backup if you don't have direct access to the secondary storage from the SME Server.

With SnapVault and Protection Manager the archived pack is pushed back to the primary from the secondary.

You would need iSCSI/FC connexion if you'd want to use SMBR on the archived backup as well as SnapDrive on the server / secondary backup to mount the LUNs

moncsko

Thanks for your reply Mathieu.

What is the mechanism by which the archived data gets pushed back to primary storage? Is it an NDMP copy or something else? I'm certain that we had verifications turned off, as they are not as important in Exchage 2010, but the restore would always fail with an error message that effectively stated that the necessary logs were not present.

Is this process documented somewhere?

Thanks again.

Brian

vloiseau

To restore from a Snapvault you must have either :

- a SAN connection (IP/FCP) to the secondary storage from the Exchange Server you want to restore

- a "remote verification server" that has SAN connection + check that the Exchange Server does not have access to the secondary storage.

This is the only way to have your log files copied back to the production server.

Valery.

sflynn

Thanks for the reply Valery  Spot on as usual. 

Brian, I'll work with our Docs team to get this better illustrated in the IAG.  And I'll add more info in the BP guide as well.

Thanks!

Shannon

Public