2011-09-23 08:07 AM
We are migrating a single SQL 2005 User database to a new Windows 2008 R2 cluster with SQL 2008 R2 installed. The old and new cluster are running SMSQL.
Here are the steps that we are following.
1. Take a SMSQL snapshot of the SQL 2005 DB on the old cluster. Perform a native SQL Backup of the SQL 2005 DB on the old cluster and move the bak file to the new SQL 2008 R2 cluster.
2. Continue to take SMSQL streaming transaction log backups on the old cluster.
3. Restore the native SQL 2005 DB bak to the new cluster with the No Recovery option. Move the SMSQL transaction logs from the old cluster to the new cluster and apply the transaction logs without issue and the database passes full recovery and is brought online.
4. Run the SMSQL configuration wizard on the new SQL 2008 R2 cluster to migrate the user database to the SMSQL LUNS and the appropriate setup of the SnapInfo Directory. The initial SMSQL configuration runs without issue.
5. SMSQL Backups for the system databases and the individual user DB run without issue.
Problem # 1: In the "Verify Database After Backup" stage of the Backup with Verification SMSQL job we get the following error:
[ SnapDrive Error]: There are no initiators connected to the storage system. (SnapDrive Error Code: 0xc00402e7)
Remote verification failed with FaultException<SMException>: Error code: 0xc00402e7
We are attempting to repeat the same process above to simulate a go-live scenario however the SMSQL Backups are failing after a subsequent restore of the User DB on the new SQL 2008 R2 cluster. Here are the steps that we are following. The only difference is the SQL 2008 R2 cluster owns the User DB under SMSQL during the 2nd restore.
1. Delete the User DB from the SQL 2008 R2 cluster via SQL Server Studio Manager.
2. Restore the native SQL 2005 DB bak from the old cluster to the new cluster a second time and apply the appropriate transaction logs. That process is working without issue.
3. Run the SMSQL configuration wizard on the new SQL 2008 R2 cluster to migrate the user database to SMSQL LUNS again. The SMSQL configuration wizard runs without errors.
4. Create a new SMSQL backup job for the User DB without verification to validate the snapshot works.
Problem #2: The SMSQL Backup fails with the following error:
SnapManager are ready to create snapshot...
[SnapDrive Error]: SnapDrive was unable to create a Snapshot copy of one or more LUNs that reside on different storage system volumes.
All Snapshot copies that were created as part of this LUN Snapshot copy operation were deleted.
Please check the application event log for more details.
(SnapDrive Error Code: 0xc00402c2)
Any suggestions to get through these errors would be appreciated.