Subscribe

SQL, LUNs and SQL maintenance (index rebuilds & re-organization)

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some guidance here.

I have a number of SQL 2005/8 servers with iSCSI LUNs on our NetApp filer, and I am using SnapManagerSQL for backup.

Are there any implications to running routine maintenance tasks on the databases? I am talking about the defualt ones available via the "Maintenance Task Wizard" in SQL manager - so no database defrags or anything like that. Specifically I am talking about:

- database integrity checks.

- re-organize index tasks

- re-build index tasks

- update statistics tasks

I have been asked to scedule these SQL jobs on some of our larger databases - but I am concerned about high amounts of block changes which could result in larger snapshots or performance issues.

I can't find anything regarding this in the SMSQL guides - just the normal "don't perform defrags" etc.

Help appreciated!

Marc ;-)

Re: SQL, LUNs and SQL maintenance (index rebuilds & re-organization)

I am also after the same information and would appreciate any input from the NetApp Gurus here.

Thanks,

Nimal

Hi Marc ,

Please take full backup from SMSQL before and after performing the database maintenance tasks. If the iSCSI LUN layout for the database had been done properly then I do not see any performance impact from a I/O standpoint.

In SMSQL we have the option to run DBCC checkdb to preserve the db consistency.

You may also want to do some sizing to find more about this.

Regards,

Abhishek

Hi Abhishek,

So performing rebuilds or re-organisation of SQL indexes doesn't cause large amounts of I/O or block level changes like a typical defrag does?

(and yes, my iSCSI LUN layout is correct).

Thanks,

Marc