ONTAP Discussions

Secondary volume creation fails

donn

Running Ops Mngr/Pm 4.0.  Both primary and secondary controllers running 7.3.2P6.  Primary controllers are 3140's, secondary snapvault controllers are 2040s.  Receive the following error when attempting to enable dedupe on the secondary volumes via a Provisioning Policy for secondary volumes.  I looked it up and the dedupe volume limit for a 2040 is 3TB.

Conformance Results

=== SEVERITY ===
Error:    Attention: Provisioning a new flexible volume (backup secondary) failed.
=== ACTION ===
No physical resources exist, so thin provision a new flexible volume (backup secondary) of size 800 GB for qtree Virtual_Qtree_for_volume_to_be_provisioned_by_task_id_427 into node 'Backup' and then attempt to create a backup relationship using SnapVault first, then try Qtree SnapMirror if SnapVault relationship creation fails.
=== REASON ===

Storage system : 'vh2040a.firstambank.com'(1244):
     - The requested size 880 GB is more than the default maximum size (512 GB) allowed for deduplication.

Storage system : 'vh2040b.firstambank.com'(1245):
     - The requested size 880 GB is more than the default maximum size (512 GB) allowed for deduplication.

=== SEVERITY ===
Information:    Provision a new flexible volume of 1.14 TB from aggregate 'vhfiler2:aggr2'(76).
=== ACTION ===
Provision flexible volume (volume mirror destination) of size 1.14 TB

=== SEVERITY ===
Information:    Create volume mirror relationship(s) between 'egfiler2:/eg2ds1f' and new volume to be provisioned from resource pool(s) 'VH Snapmirror Dest - SATA vhfiler1,vhfiler2' (1717).

=== ACTION ===
Create volume mirror relationship(s) for dataset 'eg2ds1f' (2452) on connection 1.

5 REPLIES 5

sinhaa

Looking into your problem. Firstly, I want to know where did you find that the volume size limit for a deduplication enabled volume on a f2040 is 3TB. I think will be 2TB for fas2040. Beacuse For fas2050 its 2TB and for fas3050 its 3TB.

Can you also provide your policy details? I want to reproduce the exact problem.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

adaikkap

Hi Abhishek,

TR 3505 says it a 3TB which is correct. As 2040 is a better platform than 2050, based on TR 3505.

This looks like a bug to me. If you have a 2040 you can test this, with 7.3.2

Regards

adai

adaikkap

Hi Donn,         

Bug 438914 is filed for the same, pls add/raise a case and get it fixed for you.

Regards

adai

eino

Hi,

Is this bug really not resolved yet? I have exactly the same situation with OM 4.0.2 and FAS3240.

sinhaa

Hello eino,

The issue in this burt is getting tracked with another burt which I think will cover your issues too and some more.

Kindly raise a case for it.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public