ONTAP Discussions

Shrinking vol0

stanleyj42

Vol0 on both of my filers is set a 675gb.  From everything ive read this is way overkill for the root volume.  Is it safe to just do a resize command and shrink the volume to a recommended size?  This is waisting almost a tb of space on SAS. 

Running release 8.0.1p3 7-mode

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thomas_glodde

do a "vol size vol0 1g" and it will tell you "i cannot resize below XXX GB" where XXX GB is the minimal allowed size. Then go for a "vol size XXXg" to resize it, works online, totaly safe.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

thomas_glodde

do a "vol size vol0 1g" and it will tell you "i cannot resize below XXX GB" where XXX GB is the minimal allowed size. Then go for a "vol size XXXg" to resize it, works online, totaly safe.

stanleyj42

Thanks Thomas.  After running the 1g command i didnt realize that the volume had to be so large.  I was looking at some documentation they shows it being around 133gb but i guess i was looking at the wrong stuff because it says 275 from the command.  Damn good thing i consulted the almight forums!! LOL  Thanks again.

thomas_glodde

There is a document somewhere, it depends on machine type (ammount of ram), 133 being the smalles for a FAS2040 going up to 800GB i think for a FAS6280. But instead of looking for the hidden and possibly outdated information i just go for the quick vol size check 😉

glad i could help.

pascalduk

thomas.glodde wrote:

There is a document somewhere, it depends on machine type (ammount of ram), 133 being the smalles for a FAS2040 going up to 800GB i think for a FAS6280. But instead of looking for the hidden and possibly outdated information i just go for the quick vol size check ;-)

Thats why we have bookmarks

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel801/html/ontap/smg/GUID-94356B0F-EB14-43E5-9AEC-8EDDC6AA02AA.html

Apparently you can set the root volume a little lower than the documented minimum sizes.

Public