Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

Snap Manager Exchange - Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG 2 Nodes - do not cleanup SANPINFO !

Hi,

we have a Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG with 2 nodes

i do backup of DAG ... having Snapshots for 10days and utm (point in time revcovery) configured for 3 days.

But the files in SME_snapinfo are not deleted afeter 3 days - they only be delteted after 10days ... WHY ?

What is the funktion of the 3 days for pit ?   RetainUtmBackups 3 ??? Is this not the option not the cleanup for SNAPINFO ?

regards

marc

Re: Snap Manager Exchange - Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG 2 Nodes - do not cleanup SANPINFO !

Hi Marc, I am observing the same behavior.   We would like to reclaim this log space for our customers and are having to implement multiple backup groups with different log retention options as a workaround since SME will not clean these up in a single backup management group.   The release notes seem to indicate that this feature should work as of 6.0.2, but SME seems unable to reclaim the log space until the backup ages out using a single backup management group.  Have you opened a case on this?

Re: Snap Manager Exchange - Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG 2 Nodes - do not cleanup SANPINFO !

I am also experiencing similar issues, I thought the value was backups rather than days though?

Hi,

You can specify either the number of backups, or days.

Regards,
Radek

Just caught this thread. I opened a support case on this exact issue a couple of months back and it was flagged as a known bug with ID 554340 (not publicly visible). The fix is due in the "next release" but I was told this is not scheduled until Q3.

Richard

So whats the deal will it ever flush the logs in the sme_snapinfo folder? Is a work around to not use the NTFS hardlinks functionality?

The logs get flushed according to the snapshot retention period, but SME seems to ignore the "point in time" / "up to the minute" retention. I don't think there is a workaround other than manually removing the log files from the appropriate snapinfo folder.

Richard

So a workaround would be to create a script that clears the logs after a backup.

Surely up-to-the-minute restore would still be achievable (not in the netapp sense) by restoring the last snapshot then replaying the Exchange logs that had not been flushed?

Yes, a script would work. We work around this by archiving to secondary every day and only keeping one day's worth on the primary. The restores are a little more complex but the amount of space used (/wasted) on logs is gone.

I have never understood the necessity to keep all of the logs AND keep all of the previous logs in snapshots. I agree that utm should still be possible by using just snapshots.

I guess it is so that you can restore any particular minute in between the last few backups, which we dont need and can't turn off (another crazy NetApp bug!)

Not being overly familar with scripting this is going to be a nightmare trying to create a script which deletes the correct files without upsetting SME!