ONTAP Discussions

SnapDrive 6: why no VMware iSCSI RDM support?

adsouthpaw

I notice that SnapDrive 6 documentation states that VMware RDM LUNs are supported when using FCP. I'm wondering if there is some technical reason iSCSI RDM isn't supported or if it is just a validation thing at this point. I'm still working on getting the LSI Storport drivers working (see VMware KB1006224), but am planning on testing SnapDrive with iSCSI RDM. Can anyone else offer any insight?

5 REPLIES 5

i3_nheusel

Why would one need RDM support for iSCSI guests?

Just install the iSCSI initiator software for your OS version on the guest, install another virtual network card on the guest sitting on your iSCSI vLAN, install SnapDrive and create your LUN(s).

vincentfortier

We are trying to use ISCSI RDM also because we want to use VMWare Site Recovery manager also...

Any news on this feature why its missing?

tomas_netherlands

Good question. As i wrote a document about SRM at www.tendam.info i also have this question on how to handle snapdrive luns with SRM.

And did you think about "crash constitent snapmirrors of your vm's?

If snapdrive luns are not supported, srm is useless i think.

Tomas

vincentfortier

Great document for SRM in a box by the way! I discovered it a few days ago.

For the current problem, the customer has Oracle instances and Exchange instances. What has to be done is to be able to quiest the databases and take a snapshot.

Maybe a little script could do it.

The support for FC RDM luns is already OK and SRM should support the RDM luns before end of 2008. Too bad NetApp doesnt support iSCSI for the moment.

tyeoman_swinton

I would think about using RDM's at all. I have heard from the community and from a recent UK NetApp User Group that RDM's are causing performance issues for some folks...

Public