ONTAP Discussions

SnapManager for SQL SMSQL Backup and SnapMirror question about system databases

txskibum2000

I am configuring nightly scheduled SMSQL backups of a simple SQL Database Server (virtual).

I created a LUN for Databases, LUN for Logs, LUN for Snapinfo, LUN for SystemDatabases, and a LUN for TempDatabase...(via SnapDrive).

Question #1...

Seems the LUNs for "SystemDatabases" and "TempDatabase" are not being backed up, because I do not see any nightly Snapshot Copies taken.  But, when I first configured SMSQL Backup, it did take a snapshot of the SystemDatabases for one day, then nothing after that.  Im not receiving any notifications of a SMSQL Backup Failure.  Do I need to worry about taking backups of the SystemDatabases??

Question #2...

I have configured SnapMIRROR for All the LUNs mentioned above.  Within the SMSQL Verification, I have Snapmirror update enabled.  All the LUNs are mirroring successfully, except for the "SystemDatabases" and the "TempDatabase".  Should I worry about System and Temp Databases being mirrored?  Is this even necessary?  In a Disaster, would SQL rebuild the System and Temp Databases?

Thanks for your time.

Dale

2 REPLIES 2

radek_kubka

Hi Dale,

Does this help to answer your questions?

http://communities.netapp.com/message/27944#27944

Regards,
Radek

txskibum2000

Yes, this helps.  I do plan to rebuild the exact same instance in a DR situation, therefore I do want to mirror the System Databases.  Now, I need to figure out why its not always successfully mirroring.  Any advise?

Public